View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 12:37 AM

Default Conventions and Character Generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post

The 20% that are fiendishly hard is: character generation (although I found an Excel spreadsheet that lets me generate characters, I still have to do the 4d6-4 and/or slight and favor stats but otherwise it does everything except buying skills for you), and combat resolution. I mean, goddamn the 1e combat system is obtuse. I like it - but it's obtuse.
When I was still able to go to events, I was at a local small gaming convention and they had a lecture for an hour about how to be a GM. One of the questions that came up was how to prep a game for running at a convention when you may only have a 2-4 hour gaming session. One of the GM/DMs there mentioned that if the rules were fast and straight forward to let folks roll up their own characters using a cheat sheet. Otherwise, if its complicated (and he called out Traveller for its complicated character generation) then you pre-gen some characters along some themes (the tank, the healer, the mechanic, the sniper, etc) or even potentially appropriate for the one-shot that will be run. Then allow the players to buy the gear they want off again a cheat sheet. Then run the game for some fun.