View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post

Now, I doubt I would run Twilight:2000 again as a con event - not because I didn't have fun (I did) and not because they players didn't have fun (they did), but because of the "scale" of T2k. It is a game that lends itself to weeks of exploring, hard-fought battles, etc., whereas D&D games can take place in a "dungeon" and the players can skate along the rails as it were. Although I suppose if I ran The Black Madonna, that's a dungeon crawl in T2k...
I've reduced my convention games to setting up a short mission (in or around Krakow, mostly)
- a bit of time for planning, shopping, and packing,
- some travel-- a minor encounter or two to show off the world
- recon the site and planning
- the usual firefight (assault, ambush, or defense)
- getting out (throw in another encounter if there's still lots of time left in the 4-hour slot)
- receiving rewards, chatting with players, getting their feedback, and packing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
Some observations about the 1e rules for T2k that I'm sure have been discussed over the nearly 40 years since their release...80% of the game is easy-peasy. It's OD&D levels of role-vs-roll play, when interacting with the environment. Truly difficult things, the very easy to learn skill system (easy: your skill x2 is the target, average, your skill, difficult, half your skill) handles quite nicely.
My rules cheat sheet is pretty simple for everything but combat. I have a game-opening speech prepared, covering setting and rules. I make a point that there is no Charisma stat or Persuasion skill, all of the interpersonal talking is almost purely between the people at the table.