Thread: Just an Idea...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
As I've mentioned elsewhere, our battalion armourer was, well inept would be giving them too much credit. Almost all the guns in the battalion had faults, some with absolutely critical safety issues such as badly worn sears.
Didn't help that most of the JNCO's and officers didn't really understand the M60, it's capabilities and proper utilisation, so when it came to range time, most didn't even understand the need for zeroing them. Instead they put their inaccuracy down to them being a suppressive weapon rather than properly capable of actually inflicting casualties (yeah, idiots). Most "shoots" were nothing more than familiarisation with qualification a mere afterthought.

So, we're on the range with 10 of these worn out, unzeroed guns lined up on the mound when a herd of 30-40 roos casually hop between us and the targets 300 metres away. As one, every gun "accidentally" shifted fire from the targets to the herd.

Not one roo was dropped as the sights were so far out of zero you really only had tracer to aim with.

Pulling that back to T2K, it's absolutely VITAL to zero weapons the characters may stumble across. Without doing so, I'd probably assign a penalty to hit, at least until the character has had time to assess where their rounds are actually going and adjust accordingly.
Damned good point. In the T2k setting you're not often going to have the luxury of walking rounds on to the target, you just can't afford to waste the ammo.
Even going through a few more rounds than normal to zero a machine gun isn't likely to use as much ammo as walking fire would over a few engagements.

I gotta say, with those NCOs and Officers you had, what the hell happened to "the gun is the main firepower of the Section"?