Thread: Just an Idea...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 07:11 PM

M60, L1A1, M16 (which I hate with a passion), F88 - can still strip, etc in my sleep with one hand tied behind me. F1 might be a bit more problematic given it was withdrawn within weeks of me enlisting, but I'm sure I'd manage...

In theory our unit was the same, but in reality, well, see above. After the guns were zeroed/serviced and NCOs, etc saw with their own eyes just what they were capable off, things changed a bit for the better. Being assigned as gunner was still seen as a bit of a punishment by many though, which I still find strange for all the reasons I loved it listed above. Yes, it was heavy and tiring, but it balanced my pack quite well. Could usually walk almost upright instead of bent over from the weight on my back. Of course all that weight didn't do my knees much good...

Range time was reduced for us too. Not only due to less ammo being made available (although rumour had it there were tens of thousands of 9mm rounds tucked away - battalion still received the allocation even after the F1s were withdrawn, so there were only a handful of pistols to use it), but also because the rules were changed so we couldn't fire the SLRs at civilian ranges any more. From then on we were forced to travel to either Greenbank in Queensland, or Singleton in NSW for live fire. Six hours one way, or eight the other, all in the back of a Unimog.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem