View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 10:18 PM

And the day comes to an end in the Club:

Officer's Club Tent, Sheppard AFB, TX: 1710 Hours Central War Time:

When the CO and XO arrived at the O-Club, the place was already buzzing. With Ms. Wendt's “Check Ride” over and done, and with the stand-down coming to an end, everybody was in a good mood. Even though with the latter, and getting back into combat as a result, it was what the crews had signed up to do. The two got to the bar, and found Smitty, the barkeep, there as usual. “Smitty,” Major Wiser said. “What have you got tonight?”

“No Sam Adams, Major, but I've got the usual suspects,” the barkeep replied cheerfully. “Heard you took the newsies up.”

“Had the cameraman,” Guru replied. “Bud for me.” He saw the XO nod. “And one for the exec.”

“Comin' up,” Smitty said, then he produced the two beer bottles.

“Thanks, Smitty,” the CO nodded. He paid the barkeep, took a drink, then said to the XO, “That was an interesting day.”

Ellis nodded. “It sure was, Boss,” he said. “Even if we didn't scare that reporter back to Nellis or L.A..”

“Were you guys trying to do that?” Smitty asked. “Word's gone around that's what you had in mind.”

“There was that chance,” Guru admitted. Just then, Ms. Wendt came in, with Goalie, Sweaty, KT, Flossy, Jang, and a couple other female aircrew. “Looks like she's recovered,” the CO observed.

“Looks like it,” Ellis said, noting the hand-waving going on, and the reporter nodding as if she understood. “We're stuck with her.”

Guru took another pull on his beer. “That we are.”

Colonel Brady came up, with the “Two Daves,” Dave Golen and Dave Gledhill. “Major,” the MAG-11 CO nodded. “How's our reporter?”

“Have a look for yourself, sir,” Guru said, gesturing in the reporter's direction. “I'd say she's recovered somewhat.”

“Give her a few days, then I'll see about getting her a ride with the Marines,” Brady said.

“And us,” Dave Gledhill replied. “Why'd she ride with you guys?” He asked Guru.

“She wanted to ride with me at first,” Guru said. “Then I told her if you're going up with us, you're riding with the best I have.”

“And Kara showed her,” Gledhill finished.

“She did,” said Guru. “Kara flew her bird like she had just stolen it, but then again, we all do.”

Both Brady and Gledhill nodded. “Keeps us alive,” the MAG-11 CO noted.

“It does that,” Gledhill agreed.

A few minutes later, people started to congregate at their usual tables, and when Guru got to his, he found Goalie, Kara, Braniac, Hoser, KT, Sweaty, and the others either there, or coming. “Well?” Guru asked his wingmate. “You gave it your all.”

“I did,” Kara admitted. “Not only didn't I scare her onto the next westbound C-130 or -141, but she's now got rides coming with the Jarheads and the RAF.”

“And you had a pool, I noticed,” the CO observed. He wasn't surprised at all.

“She did,” Goalie said.

Kara nodded. “And I paid up,” she said.

Then Don Van Loan came over. “Boss, here's the papers.”

L.A. Times for me, and Orange County Register for Goalie,” Guru said.

“Here you are, and who wants USA Today or Stars and Stripes?”

“I'll take USA,” Sweaty said.

“Then I'll settle for Stars and Stripes,” Kara said. Though everyone did share, so when she got her copy, she passed the sports section to Hoser.

“I'm not a California boy,” Van Loan said, but I did get to like the L.A. Times while we were at Williams.”

“Okay, Don?” Guru said. “A little business before you go. I'm going to pair up Digger with a new pilot. Flossy and Jang have clicked as a crew, and now that's happened...”

“You don't want to break them up,” the Ops Officer finished. “Who does Digger pair up with?”

“Haven't decided yet. We'll talk it over tomorrow, and the day after, they start flying.”

“Fair enough,” Van Loan said.

“All right, Don, thanks,” said the CO.

“Anytime,” the Ops said, then he went to his table.

Sweaty looked at her CO and flight lead. “When do you go to Nellis?”

Guru shrugged. “Haven't had a call or message from General Tanner telling me to come to Nellis. When I do, I'm supposed to bring Goalie and all of the planning material. Such as it is.”

“When we flew that strike the day or two before PRAIRIE FIRE-the one we really can't talk about?” Goalie said, and she saw heads nod at that. They all had flown the mission. “We had everything we needed. Here, though, we've got diddly shit.”

“So when you do go, Mark's in charge, not Frank?” Kara asked.

“Exactly,” Guru replied. “Mark's the XO, he runs the show while I'm gone. Frank can bitch about it all he wants, but that's the way it is.”

Then the restaurateurs who ran MAG-11's mess came in. “Folks, we've got Tex-Mex style chicken, or Chicken-fried Steaks-they're Bison, though. Come and get it.”

After people got what they wanted, the CBS Evening News came on AFN. “Good evening from Los Angeles,” Walter Cronkite began. The big news today comes from overseas, where a new Italian government, formed after the assassination of the Italian Prime Minister, has denounced the previous government's neutralist policy, and has vowed a crackdown on the Red Brigades terrorist group.” The network's Rome correspondent came on, with images of protests both pro- and anti-neutralist, and several suspects in the murder of the Prime Minister being hauled into paddy wagons.

“Sources in Rome say that the new Prime Minister, Benito Craxi, is expected to visit Philadelphia in the coming weeks, and meet with President Bush. Though Italy is not expecting to join the war, this is one more nail in the European neutralists' coalition.”

“Well, now,” Preacher said. “About damned time.”

“Who's left?” Kerry Collins asked.

“The big one's West Germany,” Sin Licon, the SIO, said. “That Bundeswehr exercise is still going, and chances are, it won't be long.”

“Until the coup,” Colonel Brady said.

“Yes, sir,” Licon replied. “Until the coup.”

“Then the rest of those rats fall into line,” Flossy spat.

“In West Germany,” Cronkite continued, “continued protests against the Green Coalition's neutralist stance continue, with over 200,000 reported in Hamburg, 100,000 in Munich, and the same number in both Cologne and Frankfurt. Former Chancellors Willy Brandt and Helmut Schmidt both spoke in Hamburg, calling for the end of the neutralist government and an end to 'Soviet and Eastern manipulation of the government', a direct slap at the Soviets and East Germans.”

“That's balls right there,” Dave Golen noted. “That's what, the second time he's called for a coup?”

“Think so,” Hoser said.

Guru put down his fork and checked the L.A. Times again. “That Bundeswehr exercise is still going.”

“They're getting ready,” Jang said, and heads nodded at that.

“The only questions are when, and how bloody does it get,” Dave Gledhill noted.

Sin Licon nodded agreement. “That's about the size of it, sir.”

The broadcast continued, with a report from just north of the Alberta-Montana border, where the battle lines had remained stalemated since late 1985. “Glad we're not up there?” Kara asked. “Know a few people who did go North.”

“Definitely,” the CO said.

Then a report from Ms. Wendt came. “In Texas, an Air Force squadron has an unusual member,” Cronkite said to open the report. “Jana Wendt, from our sister network 9 News Australia, has the story.”

“Here, at a base in the liberated area of Texas, this Air Force squadron has an unusual officer. He has four legs, but a heart of gold, as pilots and crew go out and come back from missions.” Then footage of Buddy, the Golden Lab who was the 335th's mascot, ran, as the dog went to meet crews coming back from a mission. And also footage of the dog in a mission brief (supplied by the PAO). “They say that if Buddy sleeps through a briefing, it's going to be an easy one. If he stays alert, they say? Watch out.” That was followed by the footage of Buddy's being given his honorary Captain's commission. “He's so beloved, this unit made him an honorary Captain. A little morale boost for men and women who fly and fight every day, and for those who keep the squadron's aircraft flying. Jana Wendt, CBS News, with the U.S. Air Force, somewhere in Texas.” The report concluded with the dog in her lap, licking her all over.

“Not bad,” Colonel Brady said. “You did good, Ms. Wendt.”

“As opposed to today?” She asked, her appetite seeming normal. “When we shot that segment, the most I had to worry about was dog hair and being licked to death.”

“When are you doing your piece about your backseat ride?” Guru said in jest, then Buddy let out a bark.

“In a few days, Major,” the reporter said. “I still need to talk to the Day One people.”

Guru, Mark Ellis, Don Van Loan, and several others knew what she meant. A piece on those who had flown on Day One was on order, and getting that story out-especially to her parent network down in Australia, was important. For Australians, Day One was just a horrible story they had seen on the news, but for ten of those in the 335th who were in the tent, that had been the first day of what was turning out to be a long war.

“Just say when,” Lieutenant Patti Brown, the PAO, said.

“I'll let you know,” Ms. Wendt replied.

After a story about a Trans-Pacific convoy, and a look at how Major League Baseball was preparing for the postwar world, whenever that time came, the broadcast wrapped. “And that's the way it is,” Cronkite finished. “For all of us at CBS News, good night.”

“Slow day,” Dave Gledhill commented.

“There were days like this in World War II,” Guru said. “Not much happening either way.”

Heads nodded, then Kerry Collins said, “Tomorrow's a new story.”

“It is,” Don Van Loan nodded.

With that, and AFN airing a rerun of a Detroit Lions-Chicago Bears game from 1984, Kara got up, got another beer, and went to hold court at the pool table. “Won't be long until Twelve-hour kicks in,” Preacher said.

“Yeah,” the CO agreed. “Still, time to eat, drink, and be merry....”

“For tomorrow, they may not separate us from the rest of the airplane,” KT finished.

“Ain't that the truth?” Guru asked. “Since we're up to twenty-four birds, we're overdue for somebody's taking the big hit.”

“Heaven forbid,” said Preacher. The ex-seminary student said a silent prayer, hoping that event wouldn't come for a few days.

Guru nodded. “Well, Flossy and Jang are going to stay together.”

“Digger getting a new pilot?” Goalie asked. Being Senior WSO, that was something that concerned her. She saw Guru nod, then went on. “Well, if it keeps you from writing a letter in the next few days...”

“Of course, the letter you don't want to write above all is to Frank's Dad, then finding out some Senate or Congressional staffer is coming to see what happened,” Hoser said.

“Both can be graded as correct,” said Guru.

Eyes turned to Kara, who was holding court at the pool table. She easily dispatched a Marine Hornet driver, then two of the Special-Ops MC-130 guys, then came Susan Napier. Both combatants laid down their money, then went at it. This time, the RAF pilot's skills were superior, and Kara smiled, nodded, paid the $50.00, then came over to the table. “Well?” Sweaty asked.

Kara shook her head. “Where'd she learn to play like that?”

“Bermuda,” Dave Gledhill answered. “One way to kill time sitting QRA was the pool table, only we didn't play for money.”

“Figures,” Kara spat. She went to the bar, got another beer, then defeated the next three who challenged her-another RAF Rockape, and two Marines.

Guru smiled. “Good to see she hasn't lost her touch.”

“Can't have that,” Goalie said.

“No.” Guru then went to get another beer, and found Doc at the bar. “Doc.”

“Boss,” Doc Waters replied. “Keeping tabs on Frank, just like you suggested.”

“Anything leap out at you?”

“No, but I'm on the lookout. So far, all he's doing is whining about not being taken seriously.”

Guru nodded. Nothing new here. “We stopped taking him seriously as a squadron when Colonel Rivers not only stripped Frank of his flight lead qualification, he made me Exec.”

“Which is what he's talking about,” Doc said. “So far, nothing that would have me violate doctor-patient privilege.”

“All right,” Guru said as Smitty handed him another beer. He paid the barkeep, then said, “Watch him like a hawk, and keep me posted.”

“Will do, Boss.”

Guru went back to the table, “Doc's keeping an eye on Frank.”

“Good,” KT said. “How long until Sundown Cunningham comes calling?” She, and just about everyone else on the base, was hoping that the Vice-Chief of Staff would come on a visit, and wind up kicking Frank's ass off base.

“No idea.”

Colonel Brady then rang the bar bell. “Fifteen minutes until Twelve-Hour! People, we had a stand-down, but still had some flying. Major Wiser and Captain Thrace of the 335th took two of our guests from Down Under up, and showed them some fighter flying.”

“At least I got her airsick,” Kara said.

“That you did,” Guru replied. “And not surprised you had a pool going.”

“Hey, I did pay up,” Kara protested.

“Which you did.”

“Well, Ms. Wendt? How'd you like your exposure to fighters?” Colonel Brady asked.

“Now that the world's stopped lurching from side to side?” Ms. Wendt replied. “I did get a little appreciation for what you people do every day.”

Mark Ellis asked, “Even with no one shooting at you?”

“Even with that.”

Colonel Brady then asked the cameraman. “How about you, Mr. Scott?”

“Wouldn't have missed it for the world,” the cameraman grinned. “More excitement than in a chopper, I'll grant you.”

“At least we can bail out,” Don Van Loan said. “If you get it in a helo, you go down with the ship.”

“Been there, did that, in Vietnam,” Scott replied. “Twice, actually. Once in '72 during the Easter Offensive, and again three weeks before Saigon fell.”

Guru nodded. “Just be glad we didn't have to bail out. Did that once, and spent five months with the Resistance.”

“Had my turn to skydive,” Brady added. “And spent five years in Hanoi.” Brady looked at both newsies. “When you two want to fly with the Marines? Just say the word and I'll arrange it.”

“We'll take you up on that, Colonel,” Ms. Wendt said. “And the RAF, too.”

“Oh, joy,” Karen McKay muttered. Flying a prissy reporter was not what she had in mind.

“Fair enough,” Dave Gledhill said.

“All right! Ten minutes to Twelve-Hour, so drink up!” Brady announced.

People finished their drinks, or tried to, before one of the Navy Flight Surgeons rang the bell. “Twelve-Hour now in effect!”

After turning in what hadn't been drunk, people switched to nonalcoholic. “Well, even if it's iced tea, 'eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow they may not separate us from the rest of the airplane,” Kara said. She was eyeballing a plate of nachos she had brought over.

“It is that,” Goalie agreed. “Game time again tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Brainiac said. “Just as long as CAS doesn't come on the schedule.”

“Down, boy,” Guru said sharply. “If we get the call, we go. Simple as that. I don't like it any more than any of you, but if the Hogs and A-7s are busy...”

“Our turn again,” Sweaty finished.

Time went on, then Doc Waters himself rang the bar bell at 2100. “Aircrew curfew now in effect!”

Hearing that, Ryan Blanchard and Kerry Collins got up, with Ryan slinging her M-16. It was clear what they had in mind. Goalie saw that, and nodded at Guru. “Well?”

“Let's go,” Guru said. He knew what she wanted-and he was in the mood. “See you all in the morning. Bright and early, Zero-six hundred. For another day closer to the Rio Grande.”

“Night, Boss,” Kara said. She could tell what both had in mind.

Guru and Goalie went into Officer Country and found the CO's tent. Guru opened his ice chest, pulling out a bottle of 7-Up. “Nightcap?”

“Later,” Goalie said. She got out of her flight suit, and as before on such occasions, there was nothing underneath. “Ready?”

Guru got out of his. “Let's go.” Then they went after each other.

The next morning, the alarm clock buzzed. Guru woke up-slowly, and saw the time. 0415. Wonderful. Little under three hours to game time. He turned, and saw Goalie's bare back facing him. How many times again did we do it? Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted. “Hey, sleepyhead. Time to get up and be human again.”

She came awake, and sat up in bed, the covers coming off her bare chest. “And good morning to you. What time is it?”

Guru nodded. “Almost Zero-Dark-Thirty.”

Goalie got up and began to dress. “No rest for the weary or the wicked. Want to bet Kara's just now kicking out her latest one-night stand?”

“No bet,” Guru said as he got up. “Game day again.”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “When we get to Nellis for that briefing? At least we'll have a night in a real bed.”
These camp beds are okay, but...Goalie thought.

“There is one small reward for briefing the brass,” Guru agreed.

“All right, see you in the chow line.”

“I'll be there,” Guru said.

After she left, he got ready to head for the shower. Though still dark outside, it wouldn't be long until breakfast at 0600, then the first mission brief, before going out on that first one of the day. And how many more until the Rio Grande? Guru thought. Too many, he knew, and not everyone would be there at the end. Time to get on with it, he said to himself as he left for the shower.

Old USMC Adage