View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
On paper! But in the period covering the Twilight War period the Republic of Ireland's land forces amounted to 14x Scorpion Tanks, 19x AML-90 and 32x AML-60, and 24x AML-20 armoured cars, 70x APC's, 60x artillery guns (including 48x 88mm guns dating from the 1930's), and 21 Milan AT missiles (and thats debatable).
I consider that it was built up to that just because of the war.

Quote:
The FCA is the Irish reserve, you have double counted it, and its armoured cavalry squadrons have no armoured vehicles in the real sense of the word, while its artillery regiments would be equipped with a few mortars if they are lucky.
Thanks a lot for that one. My source is British that must explain why. It counted this as a second reserve. I have not done on Ireland so far and, therefore, this will be more than useful. I 'm very greatful.

Quote:
Their the worst equipped army in Europe and Ireland's light skinned Scorpion and AML's would have no chance against British tanks, and they had a total of 14x 105mm light guns in addition to the 48x 25 pdr museum pieces.
I entirely agree but there is no british tanks in Northern Ireland. Moreover, I don't consider that the British have anything above 120mm mortars in that area. Then, 50 museum pieces are something to count with.

Quote:
I really don't think a few AA Guns and 7x RBS-70 man portable SAM's with a range of 8km are going to trouble the RAF that much.
If UK deploys even a wing of Harriers, the game is over but helicopters are an entirely different matter. It depends on your choice here.

Quote:
The RAF don't have to base any jets in Northern Ireland. How hard would it realy be for RAF jets to reach any target in Ireland from Britain?
I agree but I counted that the RAF being busy elsewhere, it wouldn't deploy here.

Quote:
The Garda are an unarmed police force, although plain clothes officers do carry firearms and the force has small stocks of SMG's, shotguns and rifles. Ireland (Republic) has no military industry, it imports all its weapons. If Ireland attacks British forces then I would expect British forces to retaliate in some force, and they could pretty much wipe out Ireland's military forces in a days if they wanted to. If the French provide supplies I would expect it to be clandestine and not in great quantities, and they are certainly not going to be shipping Fouga's.
I understood that but, I'm sure the Garda will be armed in case of a Twilight War (at least with shotguns). However, I didn't consider it would carry any field duty outside of coastal and rear areas patrols.

For France, there is no reason for the supplies to be shipped clandestinely as Ireland (unlike scotland or Quebec) is a legitimate country. It would be perfectly legitimate to sell it military supplies: phased out AML, heavy mortars, ammunitions and, why not, air-defense equipements. For the Fouga, I'm convinced they will for two reasons: France is out of the war and it will keep replacing its Fougas by Alpha Jets. Therefore, it will be more than happy to sell them (even in the case of no conflict with UK, it could sell them to Ireland). Irish pilots are familiar with the plane and they won't need extensive training to expend the air force. If UK wants to react against France sending supplies, it can't do much outside of the diplomatic fields because France is too strong militarily.

The main difference between our views reside in the British reaction. I consider that this conflict would remain an infantry war with forces pretty much matching each other. That's what I understood from Canadian Army text and, of course, I might be wrong. As I said my personnal view is that Ireland remains outside of the conflict, even helping the British in their fight against the IRA. Thanks for your views

Last edited by Mohoender; 12-08-2009 at 08:49 AM.