View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Default Operation Carthaginian

Bona nit!

First of all, let me say that I like very much Operation Carthaginian (a very suitable name, by the way). The idea about a major airbone operation against Italy opens a new non-exploited scenario for me. And, as former Spanish paratrooper roughly by the time of the Twilight war, Operation Carthaginian gives me a lot of ideas based in my first hand experiences, in the case of a group of characters being members of the "Iberian Airborne Brigade Group".

The collaboration between Portuguese and Spanish paras seems to me perfectly plausible. Operation Carthaginian seems a good way to introduce Spain and Portugal as active NATO partners in the war. It seems credible to me that both countries probably would have rejected entering the war immediately after the opening of the hostilities between Germany and Poland, arguing that the Germans were acting on their own while attacking the polish and that they don't consider themselves tied by the NATO treaty in that case.

But with the unexpected Italian attack against the NATO fleet en route to Turkey, little can be discussed by Portugal and Spain without breaking the NATO treaty. And both countries (and especially Spain) would feel more comfortable fighting as the southern flank of the NATO than sending troops to Central Europe.

It would be interesting to think what would happen to the Spanish troops in Italy after the falling of the nukes in Spain and the low level civil war depicted in "Mediterranean Cruise" module that eventually allowed Catalonia to become independent.