Thread: Soviet ORBAT
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

My website (thanks Fusilier) has the division/army breakdown for the entire Pact worldwide. The battalion/regimental level piece (about 5-6 times as large) is still a work in progress. If you have specific questions about a unit let me know. It's based on stuff I've been translating for the last couple years from various Eastern European forums and websites.

The big task Jason & I are facing is how to reconcile the RL data I'm pulling down with the best guess (but still largely guess) that GDW made for the Soviet Vehicle Guide. One simple example is that in the late 1940s the Soviets eliminated the practice of having two units of the same type with the same unit, one with Guards in its title. GDW was unaware of this, and as a result there is a 9th Tank Division that is mentioned in a few of the Poland modules, and a 9th Guards Tank Division that is also in Poland. In as many cases as possible we'll try to transfer the history of a unit over to its RL equivalent - for example, the RL 230th Rear Area Security Division was a mobilization-only unit based in Riga, Latvia. Soviet Vehicle Guide lists 2 M-O units from the Baltic Military District - the 152nd (IRL in the Transcaucasian MD) and the 154th (which was disbanded in 1960 as part of Khruschev's cuts in the Army), and no 230th MRD. So we'll probably adopt GDW's history of one of the 152nd or 154th for the 230th. But with over 300 divisions its a going to be a total nightmare!

Mohender, the links you provided are to a hash of current and historical unit IDs and locations. The most accurate RL orbats in English on the internet are on orbat.com's forums. I've basically used them as a base and then used Russian, Hungarian, Czech, Bulgarian and Polish sites to check and fill in the missing details and confirm the information on orbat.com.

orbat.com's forum post of the Soviet 1989 orbat is at http://www.orbat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5 .

Kato, how do you make a link hot in here???

Last edited by chico20854; 09-21-2008 at 08:15 PM.