Thread: NBC Decon Teams
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 AM

I've always felt the decon teams existed to:

(a) Help populations transition from contaminated areas to uncontaminated areas without bringing that contamination with them. For example, a Team might find a village in a mildly radioactive area, or a town that has been inundated in toxic waste.

(b) Help Project personnel conduct targeted recovery operations in contaminated zones. A Team with a bolthole in a radioactive area might need to see a decon Team before beginning operations, and necessary assets (Project or otherwise) might be in areas that are unsafe without decon afterwards.

(c) Address localized contamination problems where contaminated objects or individuals are brought into clean areas. Survivors might try to scavenge from radioactive cities, or bring an undetonated MIRV into their town without knowing how to handle it.

Large scale decontamination is clearly (to me) outside the scope of what the Project can do. 3 man Teams are, to my way of thinking, bad from a safety standpoint - you might choose to divide up that way afterwards, but Teams should be frozen with the understanding of the assorted risks, and a 3 man Team is not very survivable in an emergency.