View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I understand they've improved it since I was in, but most troops I knew hated the SAW, and for the same reason as the M16 -- excessive dirt sensitivity.

The Marines are testing a version of the Ultimax -- they don't like the M249 either.
Yeah, they must have improved the M249 when I was in, because when I was a boot we all hated it and where pissed if we got stuck with it. Then when we became the seniors our boots talked about how awesome it was.
The Marines have been dicking around with a a replacement for awhile, but I wouldn't hold my breath. When I was in one of my sister companies was doing some SAW tests with 3 other type of SAW's. The 3 at the armory were the COLT CAR, Ultimax 100, and HK G36 LMG. That was back in 2001 though and I never heard anything about it since. I was hoping we would have got one of them, since they a real automatic rifles not a LMG like the M249. I want something that is light weight and magazine fed for fast reloading. Nothing worse fumbling around with a belt of ammo on a assualt and having to carry more weight on top of it.