View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Thanks for the facts about fallujah.

When talking about ground I'm facing my english limitations. Lets say that when things go from desperate to worse you go about anything.

In T2K I would not assume the WWII recruiting process to apply after the nuclear exchange. So far, U.S. wasn't hit and that gives it an advantage. In T2K, I would expect to find militias facing the Mexican attack and poorly trained troops being ferried to Europe during and after the exchange. Moreover, don't forget that you already said that you would be dead in such case. US might fall short of national guards.

When I said badly equipped I misused the word somehow. I meant badly equiped for that war. It worked more than fine as long as US troops were facing the regular iraqi army. It was not that good when facing guerilla. However, I have seen that some impressive equipments are entering service.
I would put it in the same way as you could have in 1776 about British: don't fight the US Army in open field and expect to win.

No not really;

1.) In a twilight war, there would be a more or less general recall of ALL reserves before the nuclear weapons fell. Remember, the fighting began in the Spring summer but the ICBMs did not fall until our Thanksgiving which is mid November.

Further, once the bombs fell and the long reaches of the government ceased, or ceased priority how would they conscript? IT would be very poor. Only within the immediate reach of the government and not much beyond.

As for me being dead. IF I remained where I was and the places that were prime targets were still targeted. However, a year ago I underwent a massive bone surgery to remove metal rods and screws used to save my leg in 91. Why? To remove the barrier from my reinlietment. I am still trying to get back in! Do you think that now that the big show has kicked off with Ivan I would stand on the sidelines? Oh no! I would find a way to Europe or SouthWest Asia or Korea, I would be a part. And if needbe I would walk to Washigtinton State or British Columbia. Or even just stay at home and pick off the Mexican Army from the end of my block. That is me. I really really do hate the comies. I really do! I hate them more than fascists.

But, would the poorly trained troops be sent to Europe or kept at home to deal with the rift between Milgov and Civgov? The Mexicans and the Russians in the Pacific Northwest? And the New Americans and of course the legions of marauders and rogue military/police and mayors of the local governments and small towns.

Think about it? How oftenn would troops destined for Europe be diverted to internal issues while they were waiting on transport to Europe?

As for poorly equiped, no, we were. In that time span the Marines ansd Army have transitioned uniforms, primary rifle, vehicles, radios, body armor and all kinds of items I have no idea of what it is. Remember, we had been in a reduction of forces for a decade that was the mindset, new equipment ha! That was one of the furtherst things.

As for the Iraqi Army vs a Guerilla war or insurgency. It is not the equipment, it is the training, mindset and DOCTRINE. We went in with the conventional mindset. What you said about the old adage "We prepare for our next war the way we fought the last" was on target in this case! We fought the Iraqis in 91, it was conventional and so we thought thats what it would be like this time. So, that is how we thought, how we prepared the troops and we were successful in the convetional mode, but after we were caught short. The equipment was not important, the way the troops thought, acted and their mindset and the comands mindset and their failing to expect and prepare for the aftermath.

Keep this in mind alot of units had trained for such operations in the 80s and 90s as a result of Vietnam. But it was thrown out the window after the 91 Gulf War, that was something we covered ALOT as well as jungle and amphib operations, for us Desert and conventional war was the thing we were not overly schooled on.

And really, as it Mosiah Diane said in an interview,

"Well the Vietnamese are not Arabs." When he was asked to comment and compare the lightening victory they had against the arab forces to the Vietnamese after/durring Tet.