View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Have you spoken to anyone that has made that trick work? It sounds great in theory, but plain ANFO needs a decent sized detonation to kick it off and I'm not very confident that a rifle cartridge primer would be enough. In a previous life when I was a powder monkey we had a few tricks to turn ANFO from a low explosive into a low-grade high explosive, I guess that might give better results in rigged small arms rounds.
You can Beanpole a round by Switching Rifle powder with Pistol Powder. It's said that in Vietnam there was a program to seed VC/NVA supplies with booby-trapped rounds. It wasn't every round in a magazine but random shells. They even went so far as to print up "reports" about how only a small number of rounds were bad and the casualties were few. The reports continued to state that the problem had been fixed and "good" ammo was now coming from the factory. It became so common that US soldiers were told not to use Enemy weapons and US Ammo Manufacturers ended up making Soviet Ammo for SF use.