Thread: Personal Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Here's a question,

Just how much gear do you, as the PD, allow your players to carry?

My personal view is that giving the players a single change of coveralls and underwear doesn't consider that eventually the inside of the ole V-150 can soon make one wish to be the towel boy for a Texas High School Football Team, just to get clean again!

So, I allow the players a rucksack for dismounted missions and a duffle bag to carry a few changes of clothing and personal gear.

Besides, its amusing to watch how many players can't bear to be seperated from every item of gear. Not to mention being an evil PD and tagging some unfavorable mods to the ole fatigue table!
Lee,

I recall you once made a great case against coveralls and having to get out of them simply to go to the bathroom!

The Basic Issue seems to lack basics like a towel, boonie hat, etc. Could be implicitly included, I guess, with the underwear and rain gear, but still annoying.

One problem is that with a large allowable personal gear allowance, some players have the immediate urge to basically ditch almost everything MP-related (beret, coveralls, weapon if allowed) and "go native" or at least end up looking like some survivalist nut-job or US Army deserter. Hey, if the Project thought this was a good idea, they would have allowed personnel almost complete freedom to pack their own kit.

Instead, I believe a consistent Project image and "brand identity" should be maintained. This isn't just something common to the military, many companies enforce a dress code and code of behaviour not just to be control freaks but because they somehow calculate there is a tangible or intangible benefit to doing so.

(A player in my game jokingly complained that it was fun to customise the uniform and I replied I have all the "Aftermath!" books and no one tells you what to wear in that game...)

Not all Project issue makes sense and there are puzzling lapses. (See the wide-brimmed hat/towel above, not to mention wider issue of NODs and Kevlar vests. That's just another thing that makes TMP a distinctive RPG, not all the choices are the "best possible" under all circumstances.

Reposted from another list:

Quote:

The last game that allowed a personal duffle bag, this is what my PC took (a former LAPD SWAT commander and qualified EMT) for a Team based in Texas (frozen sometime after 2000 I think):

Personal Duffel Bag:

1 set dress clothes (jacket, 2 dress shirts, ties, slacks, dress shoes, dress socks, shoe polish), patched brown leather bomber jacket, 2 casual long sleeved shirts, 3 T-shirts (black, white, 1 grey w/ "LA Kings"), 2 prs. worn denim jeans, green wool cable-knit sweater, 1 pr. hand-tooled Tony Lama cowboy boots, 1 pr. running shoes, navy jogging suit (shorts, sweatpants, hooded sweatshirt: "Property of LAPD SWAT"), Ray-Ban Serengeti Driver sunglasses, LAPD ball cap , navy balaclava, black-chequed Kheffiya.

Portable CD player, various music CDs (country-western, classic rock, bluegrass), movie DVDs and scanned-in family photo albums in a nylon case. Leatherman multi-tool, 3-cell Mag-Lite w/IR filter, Swarovski 8x50 binoculars. Family Bible, 4 packs of Bicycle Playing cards. 1 carton Lucky Strikes cigarettes (for bribes or poker chips). Sure-Fire LED Tac-Light for G-17.

Last, but not least, 1 concealable Kevlar vest ( cl.II+, AV = 9) and concealed-carry leather shoulder rig, concealed over-the-waistband leather holster and 2-magazine pouch (for the issue G-17 and G-26 respectively), 1 can pepper spray, 2 pr. handcuffs, stun-gun, 50 flex-cuffs, telescoping mirror, belt pouches for above, 4 extra ammo pouches for issue LBE.
Tony