Thread: Personal Gear
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
Kato,

I won't regale you with a laundry list of players who've played my games (gear-heads, professionals of different stripes, combat veterans, etc.). Most of them didn't have serious problems with the Project organisation, once a few fixes that stayed within canon were implemented. To my knowledge none of them gave TMP a pass or felt it fatally suspended their disbelief because they had to make do with an Uzi instead of an M4, they just freakin' got the job done and I think they would do so even if equipped with SMLEs. (That's not to say that typical player expectations for gear by now is insanely high, but I find that players eventually adapt.)

Tony
Since I am discussing logistics and strategic thinking and you seem to be focusing on weapons and timeline, I think we might be arguing different points. My players could probably not identify more that 5 weapons and if I were to introduce one to them it would be (it was the one William Fichtner used in Blackhawk down). They are not gear nuts so the weapons themselves are not an issue.

I respect that you want to keep the weapons and time line unchanged, but if I want to change to non-standard calibers and steel cartridges to reduce the value of stolen weapons and ammo, what difference does it really make. If there is a logical reason in my world for the project to do so, I will.

The original timeline from TM1-1 is cool, but again I started with Phoenix Project which was more open in the cause of the "ooops". They actually recommend 4 scenarios IIRC. I kinda like that my players might not know what world they are waking up in.

One fun idea I have comes from the fact that I use timeshift equipment rather than cryotubes. I really would love to send them back to 1720 Virginia when they are expecting wake in 2150 KFS. The tech level and institutionalized slavery could keep them guessing until they noticed ultra low radiation levels.

This is so far unrecognizable from canon that you might not consider it the same game, but I still think it would be a lot of fun to roleplay.