View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:08 AM

Default what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
The T-34 is cool and all but that 85mm gun is not going to be able to decisively defeat the armor on most tanks you'd be running across in central Europe.

I'm going to go out on a limb and go with a nice, souped-up version of the T-72. This assumes I'm in Poland or thereabouts. Here's why: spare parts and ammo shouldn't be too hard to scrounge. For a tank, it's supposedly pretty low maintainance. The Poles and Soviets (duh) use it so you might be able to sneak around a bit in it, or play Trojan Horse.

The T-80, IIRC, is basically a T-72 with a gas-turbine engine- the Soviet's effort to mimic the Abrams without starting from scratch. I didn't pick the T-80 since it, like the Abrams, is a gas guzzler.

If spares, and ammo weren't an issue, I would go with the Challenger II or Leopard II. If fuel wasn't an issue either, I would go with the M1A1, hands down.
T-72 :

Although not a match for a fully operational M1A1 , or probably any of the "tanks of the line " from the west ,its economical ,hard wearing and prolific -it looks kinda cool too.

If I had a seperate subdivision of Brown&Root to supply me -the M1A1 is the reigning champion in this weight class.(Many contenders havent tried for the golden belt yet though...LEOPARD II,LeClerc etc )