View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Registered Registrant

No confusion on my part but there is on the part of the Australian government. As far as they are concerned ANY private military organization is too naughty to be acceptable and in the eyes of successive Australian governments PMC = mercenary.
And it should be noted that this attitude existed long before Australia had even heard of Blackwater and even Executive Outcomes - the ex-soldier I mentioned who was helping the Karen people was doing so in the late 1980s-early 1990s.
The distrust the Australian government has towards any non-state owned military groups/personnel has even extended to some Australians who had joined the French Foreign Legion.

This sort of thing was occurring in the 1970s-1980s with the Aussie government implying that anyone joining the FFL was probably some sort of criminal escaping justice. That attitude changed in the late 80s but as a friend of mine who joined the FFL in the late 80s found out when he finished up in the early 90s and returned to Australia, he was considered "unacceptable" for some government jobs even though he was qualified.

Now having said all that, it's your gameworld, do what you want but if you want to follow the retarded (and oft times puritanical) thinking of the Aussie government in real life, this would be the result.