View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 06:48 AM
Banned

There are actually a lot of horses that are still bred for farm work here in the US because of the Amish and Mennonites and other groups like that. There were close to 160,000 Amish alone in the US in the mid-1990's that were spread thru 21 states - and all of them were using horses and oxen for farming and transport (both of cargo and personal transport). They owned a huge number of horses and all of their agriculture was designed around animals being used not tractors. Thats where the game is 100% wrong - they only mentioned the Amish in PA - but Ohio is actually where the largest numbers are - I know I lived in Ohio in the exact time that the game was supposed to occur.

The largest populations are in OH, PA, IN, WI and MI. So the US may actually have been in a much better situation to be able to go back to an animal powered agrarian culture than Europe because of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ish_population

There are no such groups in Europe - thus I definitely agree with Leg that scarce fuel would have had to been used at least in 1998 to get in some kind of crop while they learned how to transition back to using horses and other animals for farm labor - i.e. its one thing when you have a relatively large population already doing it as the US does versus the situation in Europe where the number of farmers still using animals for agriculture was very small in comparison. That would have further reduced what fuel there was for military operations.