View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 10:21 AM
Banned

Definitely off the original topic but an answer to part of what has been discussed recently here given the current situation

the question that has to be answered is if lowering the death rate is worth screwing over the economies of the world - and given the situation of the people who are dying in a straight forward economic analysis the answer is most likely no (and I am being Vulcan logical here in my analysis - i.e. the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one)

Which sounds hard and cruel but the reality is that most of those who have died or gotten very sick are past working age or had multiple conditions that meant they werent contributing to the economies of those nations

and putting millions out of work is going to mean that there wont be resources to keep the medical system of those nations going in the long run

FYI - before I get the hate mail I have five relatives that fit the bill for the above risk group so I am not being cavalier about this. In many ways we may have to start looking at this as casualties on a battlefield - you dont spend your time trying to save one man who is almost certainly going to die and let five others who can be saved die in his place

And my grandfather and grandmother lived thru both the Spanish Flu and the Great Depression and told me stories of both - so in many ways for me this has been family history coming to life