View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Sadly, the 4th Amendment has already been trampled upon by the TSA in every airport and major transportation hub in America.
I won't say anything in favor of TSA, as they are responsible for my wife missing her flight from Fort Bliss to San Francisco during my train-up. (Are TSA the only a******s in the country who don't know that white servicemen often marry women of color, and therefore it's not unusual for a black, Asian, or Hispanic woman to have a dependent's ID card with an Anglo, Irish, or German last name? Come on, now...) However, if one is flying one is entering into an optional contract with a carrier. One can avoid the search by not flying. Of course, in modern America not flying imposes substantial inconveniences. But I expect to be felt up when I travel at Christmas. (Not okay with some TSA agents who use security as a cover for pedophelia getting their mitts on my children.) So far, though, this hasn't translated into checkpoints on the major roads and random searches of homes. That's the development I'm worried about.

Of course, the soccer moms of America will change their minds when they find out how some cops behave when they are given free rein. The first time a soccer mom tries to keep the cops out of her underwear drawer and gets stuffed, her feelings about civil liberties and security will undergo a dramatic change. The first time the family dog gets shot or kicked to death by that certain percentage of the police force who joined not to serve but to have power, the family will begin to wonder about the price. When teenaged Sally comes home with a sob story about what happened at the checkpoint and mom and dad discover that there is effectively nothing they can do, now that civil liberties have been exchanged for security, the family will begin to think twice about the value of security. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to give up rights than it is to get them back. That, sadly, is a lesson too many Americans will only learn the hard way. More's the pity for the rest of us.