Thread: Batteries?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

AN/PVS-7b NVG's can use either specialized lithium batteries (which last a relatively long time) or standard AA's. During peacetime training AA's are supposed to be used.

Some radios (AN/PRC-127 walkie-talkies, for example) have adapters to allow them to use commercial batteries. They suck, however - really short battery life. The normal AN/PRC-127 batteries (and the ones in the Motorola Sabre radios that generally have replaced the AN/PRC-127 walkie-talkie) are rechargeable. As for the larger tactical ones in US service (PRC-77 and manpacked SINCGARS), I never saw rechargeable batteries or commercial battery adapters. Most of those radios in the units I was in were vehicle mounted in any case, and batteries were not an issue. (Although separate batteries were in some cases required for the COMSEC setting equipment).
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...