View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I've got one episode to go and I'm really enjoying it. It does a really great job of hammering home just how terrifyingly destructive radiation is.

It's also a really effective at being simultaneously condemning of Soviet communism (and rightly so), and sympathetic to the the resilience and determination of the Soviet people (ditto).

Visually, it really captures the Brutalist aesthetic of Soviet architecture and design, and the authenticity of the Soviet-era uniforms, weapons, and vehicles is really impressive to someone who, like myself, grew up on the Hollywood kit-bashed "Soviet" AFVs and Hinds of Red Dawn and Rambo III.

-
My partner and I watched this and enjoyed it - the English accents were weird but preferable to low-quality Russian accents and in a way it helped make it more relatable perhaps?

The Brutalist architecture and all the military equipment and uniforms were very evocative however even if the radiation sickness was exaggerated for dramatic effect - when you view it as coming from "how the survivors told it" rather than from science though it sort of makes sense and helps convey the horror and terror of the invisible sickness of radiation.

Makes me look forward to Zona Alfa actually...