View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Maior View Post
Thanks for the info on the 1A3 GR, didn't know that. The Danish 1A3 seems to be slightly different, too.

Yeah, Leopard 1 variants is its own science. The German baseline variants are still fairly easy, thought the subvariants have their own charme already. But the mixmatching of various variants by other customers, who often then added their own tech, really makes this completely bonkers.

The Dutch are, in particular, a prime example for this. They always had great electronics, which they liked to add to German bought hardware. The Belgians were similar, but bought less advanced and/or in smaller quantity.

After 1990 and with alle the CFE compliance sales, some countries acquired interesting mixes of weapon systems. The Greeks used different Leopard 1s, M48s, BMP-1s, their own IFV development plus later Leopard 2s and other stuff all in parallel. Logistical nightmare anyone? On the other hand, Ukraine seems to manage the plethora of models they were delivered, too. So, why not?
The Danish 1A3 was originally a fairly mild modification. It had a periscope wiper, was fitted for (but not equipped with when delivered) the electronic fire control system, and got rid of the close defense weapon blanking plate on top of the turret. Between original orders and CFE transfers they received a total of 120 1A3 DK, 100 1A3 from Germany, and 10 1A4 from Germany.

All of those (AFAIK) were upgraded to 1A5 DK standard by installing the electronic FCS, a laser rangefinder, and the EMES 18 sight from the 1A5, so they were a 1A3 (or rarely 1A4) hull and turret with basically 1A5 electronics, plus a thermal sleeve for the gun barrel and some tweaks to the periscopes so they could see over newly installed equipment. The 35 1A5 DK used for UNPROFOR/SFOR operations also got air conditioning, a GPS receiver, the searchlights from their old M41 tanks, a generator, and a fire-suppression system and were designated DK-1.

For current peacetime logistical nightmares just in armored units (i.e. excluding the current Ukraine/Russia duo since those are wartime exigencies), I'd put Egypt at least somewhere near the top. In active service they have Ramses (upgraded T-55), a couple different types of upgraded T-62 (with different main gun calibers), M60, and M1 Abrams, with an order to begin license-building T-90MS. Meanwhile Turkey has M48, 2 models of M60, 2 models of Leopard 1, 2 models of Leopard 2, and is introducing Altay. I think they're slightly less bad off than Egypt because they're entirely NATO-caliber units, while Egypt is using 105mm (Ramses, some T-62, M60), 115mm (some T-62), and 120mm (some T-62, M1) and will be introducing 125mm (T-90). At least they don't have any 100mm T-55 still in service, I guess?

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.