View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 11:50 PM

Food is an interesting one, it raises one big question.
How long were teams meant to be in the field before being withdrawn for r&r? Did they just stay there until they were wiped out or the world was restored?

My guess is that they would have been out there for at most 6 months. I'm pretty sure they would never have returned to a cache so each cache would provide sufficient supplies for a month that could be loaded onto a vehicle. This would be a way of not only keeping them moving. But also stopping them being trapped from reaching vital supplies that were behind a horde of enraged survivors chasing after them.

Of course the problem is food is bulky and heavy. A 24 hour MRE can weigh a couple of kilos and be about the size of a couple of ammo clips. So repeat this for a month for say a 4 man team and you're carrying around 240 kilos of extra bulky supplies.

How did the project cope with this?

1 Freeze dried rations to be made up with water. Water would not have been a big issue, project vehicles don't need fuel tanks so just convert it into a giant water tank. Freeze dried rations weigh about half as much and are far less bulky. Of course if a team member is separated from a vehicle without water becomes problematic.

2 Food bars or pastes etc or other hitech food solutions. Ever since the ww2 D ration the fantasy has been rations could be reduced to a small bar that a soldier can carry around with them. They exist they're demoralising, unhealthy and really only suitable for a few days supply.

There are of course other problems. MREs are demoralising and to this day armies will go to pretty extreme lengths to ensure even isolated bases in hostile territory get "normal" fresh foods fairly regularly. So what do I suspect the project supplied?

Each cache would contain rations for the team for 40 days (10 more than theoretically needed to give leeway)

Consisting of
1 10 days of food bars, similar to the first strike ration
2 15 days of freeze dried rations
3 15 days of mre style rations.
4 5 days worth of "luxury rations" for moral purposes such as rice, freeze dried meats etc.