View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Default Going Home Adventure

I came up with this idea for a take on the going home adventure

Background

The PC's are assigned as crew the ORP Lublin, (a polish minelayer-landing ship) a landing ship being used to take US and Canadian personnel from the Port of Świnoujście to the Port of Bremerhaven. Via the Kiel Canal for departure on Task Force 34

ORP Lublin

The ship was undergoing repairs at the nearby Szczecin Shipyard, when Szczecin fell to US forces. The ship was captured with no other damage by the local anti-communist resistance. The ship still required some repairs, which was done by local polish labour supervised by the US Navy personnel sent to inspect the ship. Once repaired the ship sailed from the Szczecin Shipyard to the Port of Świnoujście where it began to take on Marines for the trip (See Photo)

Lublin-Class Minelayer-Landing Ship

Displacement: 1745 tones
Length: 95.8 m
Beam: 10.8 m
Draft: 2.38 m

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...orp-lublin.htm

Kiel Canal

Now some of you may be saying “Hey wasn’t the Kiel Canal destroyed” and the answer can be found in the Going Home Module.

“If the players have completed the two Vistula River modules (Pirates of the Vistula and Ruins of Warsaw) and managed to end up in control of the Wisla Krolowa or a similar craft, they may choose to make their way along the coast of Poland to the Danish peninsula and either cross it overland or try to make use of the Kiel canal. This is a major undertaking, and we have chosen not to cover it in this module because of space limitations. If the players choose this option, the referee will need to devise river and shore encounters along the way. Refer to Pirates of the Vistula for samples of these sorts of encounters”

So not describe her but left open for another time

The Kiel Canal is a 98 kilometer long freshwater canal in the state of Schleswig-Holstein. The canal was finished in 1895, but later widened, and links the North Sea at Brunsbüttel to the Baltic Sea at Kiel-Holtenau. An average of 460 km is saved by using the Kiel Canal instead of going around the Jutland Peninsula. This not only saves time but also avoids storm-prone seas and having to pass through the Øresund straits.

Maximum length for ships passing the Kiel Canal is 235.50 metres; with the maximum width of 32.50 metres these ships can have a draught of up to 7.00 metres. Ships up to a length of 160.00 metres may have a draught up to 9.50 metres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_Canal

Distance Calculator

So I figured out that it’s a day half trip by boat going at around ten knots I used there two sites to figure this out

https://sea-distances.org/

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/voyage-planner

Speed Conversions

1 Knots to Kilometers per Hour = 1.852

Other Places

Szczecin Shipyard

It was founded in the aftermath of World War II, when the important German port of Stettin was taken over by Poland and renamed Szczecin, it then began operating as a state-owned shipyard. In the 1970s and into the 1980s, the shipyard was one of the most important centers of anticommunist resistance in Poland It is the 5th biggest shipyard in Europe

Port of Szczecin

The Port of Szczecin is a Polish seaport and deep water harbour in Szczecin, Poland. It is located at the Oder and Regalica rivers in the Lower Oder Valley, off the Szczecin Lagoon. It includes the Szczecin Shipyard.

Port of Świnoujście

The Port of Świnoujście is a Polish seaport in Świnoujście, Poland at the Baltic Sea located at the Świna strait, on Wolin and Usedom islands. The port has passenger terminal.
Attached Images

Last edited by rcaf_777; 02-10-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling