Thread: Bioweapons
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 07:42 PM

I highly doubt Bioweapons would be used intentionally. They are too hard to "control" on a battlefield and you might end up with as many friendly casualties as enemy ones. I would use it as a "plot device." Both the US and Russia have small stockpiles of bioweapons for study purposes. Such a weapon MIGHT be released by a "rogue actor" facing extinction like North Korea but I doubt it.

I don't even have Nukes being used that much. I substitute THERMOBARIC MUNITIONS for tactical nukes. No fallout or residual after-effects once the fires die down. Putin LOVES his Thermobarics. He used them to level Grozny during the second Chechen War. Thermobaric munitions will give you that "nuke level of destruction" WITHOUT all the other hassles. I have the Russians using them wholesale in Poland in my alternate timeline.

Non-persistent chemical weapons are also a favorite on the Russians BUT these aren't as effective against military personnel equipped with MOPP gear. I think they would still see use in rear areas with civilians and poorly equipped reserve troops (mostly to disrupt logistics areas).