View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Outstanding work, Chico. Very cool.

More than anything I've ever seen or read, your captioned photos make the Twilight War seem real. I'd LOVE it if you would put them all together (your home page pics, Czech vehicle guide pics, Naval War pics, all new pics, etc.) and create...

An Illutstrated History of the Twilight War 1995-2000

Just pictures and captions. Easy (easy for me to say, at least). Please? Pretty please?
Maybe something for the new album feature here! I was actually just looking into setting up my website with a "slideshow" feature so it had multiple images (with captions) scrolling actively. Actually, the images were the most time-consuming part of the document, and they're giving Jason fits as he tries to combine the documents into the master Soviet Vehicle Guide.

Quote:
I've already mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd like to mention it again before you go to press with your SVG 1.5. It seems that, as far as Soviet/Russian tank design goes, v1.0 canon and the real world (henceforth, TRW) line up pretty well. The respective designations may differ somewhat, but based on the v1.0 SVG descriptions, and real world developments, the parallels seem really clear.

The v1.0 T-90 is described as an entirely new design with a "very low profile turret". Based on the color plate, it looks like what many western observers have dubbed the T-95 (in TRW). The T-86 is a dead ringer for TRW T-90. Similarly, the T-74 could stand in for TRW T-80. The T-80 mentioned in canon is described as an improved T-64. It can get a bit confusing.
I agree on the T-90/T-95 matchup. TRW T-90 is a T-72 chassis with a T-80 fire control system & new turret, originally designated T-72S before Desert Storm destroyed the sale value of anything designated T-72. T-74 was a western intelligence system guess as the identity of the uparmored T-72B that came out in the mid-80s. There are numerous versions of the T-80 in TRW (the earlier , I wanted to use T-86 to distinguish the more advanced versions (TRW T-80U, Ukrainian T-84, Oplot) from the earlier versions (TRW T-80A and B versions).

Quote:
A simple T-chart showing TRW equivalent for each v1.0 designation would be helpful to GMs seeking additional info on the various platforms.

Once again, great work Chico.

QUESTION: What are TRW tanks in the photo captioned "T-64BVs in Iran"? If they're really T-64s, that's the best photo I've ever seen of them. The cammo scheme looks like a modern Polish one. What was TRW context of the photo?
Ukrainian T-64BV on exercise in the last few years. I can't find the reference in the 125+ page discussion on tank-net.org (which revolves around the T-64/72/80/90 distincions).
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...