View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered Registrant

From memory of Free City of Krakow, the Flying Carpet was based at the Wawel Castle. Back in 2010 I managed to spend some time wandering around there, specifically with T2k in mind.
I think FCoK had the helo in the main courtyard in a hangar but I recall thinking that there's not too much room for a helo the size of the Mi-17 as well a hangar. I would think it's easier to make a temporary shelter over the helo that you can remove when you want to fly the machine.

Regardless of how it's stashed though, unless you actually get inside the castle, you will not be able to see the helo because the castle walls are too high plus the castle itself is located on high ground and none of the nearby buildings are tall enough to see over the walls.
In short, you're never going to know they have a helo there unless you can actually get into the Wawel and see it for yourself.

However...
This was unknown to the writers of FCoK because if they had known, I feel certain they would have mentioned it. There are caves under the Wawel castle, they've been used in the past to get fresh water. They are the reputed lair of a dragon that caused a few problems during the reign of king Krakus until it was slain, either by his sons or a cobbler, depending on which bit of folklore you read.

Apparently there are a few entryways to the caves from the castle, the one for tourists to use when I was there in 2010 was in the west wall but there is also an entry point outside the walls and was the way the dragon entered and left the caves.
When searching any maps, look for Smocza Jama or Smok Wawelski for the general location of the concealed entry into the caves.
Google maps - Wawel castle, Krakow https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sm....9337576?hl=en

So... there is a way for the PCs to get into the castle without having to go through the gates but locals have known about the caves for hundreds of years so you can bet whoever is guarding the castle, has that cave entry guarded as well.
Still, it'd probably be easier to overpower a few troops guarding a cave entry than it would be trying to assault the castle gates...

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 10-15-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling corrections.. again!