View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
Australia could do well if it wasnt hit badly by the exchange of misiles.It has a unique location ,a good deal of resources -including agricultural - and maybe together with New Zeeland could carry on to some extent as an organized country -although hardships and stern internal security measures probably would be needed.
I'm not that negative about internal security. All the Australian and Kiwis that I met were tough and nice people, proud of their country. The wild zone I put in Australia are more for regular neglect than from unrest. The government would not bother controlling all of the vast interior desert. Moreover, I can't imagine someone already living in a remote area move against the governement (what would be the point?). Aborigenes could get more authonomy and probably support the government (as for the Maoris).

Of course you might get unrest in some cities and from refugees (sorry for them but the Australian navy ends up sinking as much as they can after letting in several hundred of thousands). Most unrests will stop with the quick return of electricity. Some people might be upset when looking at their empty bank account but with no more international market, who truly cares? They wouldn't face the epidemic as well.

In my game, Papua-NG remain under their control and they help the Indonesian government retain control over Java and Sumatra. So much for Borneo and the smaller islands (I have the same idea than Jest). They were and remain involved in Korea but never sent troops to Europe. Some relations might also exist with the Thai but these will be limited. Boat people and pirates remain the most important threat

At some point during WWII these guys were virtually alone facing Japan (about 1 to 10). I never recall that they ever thought about surrender and they were able to come up with a working war industry in no time (at least one very nice tank that never entered productions, several interesting smaller vehicles plus impressive (CA-15 and Woomera bomber) and not so impressive aircrafts (CA-3 Wirraway & CA-12 Boomerang), but very good ones.

As I said, their stocks wouldn't be depleted and they would be capable of getting electricity back. Supply might pose problem but nothing that can't be overcome. In addition, for my part, they soon launch 2 aircraft carriers similar to the Chakri Naruebet (Thai) and retain an aircraft industry (Hornet and Harrier). As a result, they send some supply to the U.S. and NATO.

I would also love to have your opinion on their base at Woomera.