Thread: HAAM suits.
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
The military has been test exo-skeletons for decades, some of the demo models are quite impressive with their enhanced strength, power seems to be the major stumbling block, with current batteries and fuel cells just not capable of going for more than a few hours, adding armor (weight), weapons, ammo, sensors, comm gear (did I mention weight?) Cuts into the operational time.
Those are all valid for current demo models, but don't apply to the HAAM suit which has overcome those issues - we have the stats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
There is also the issue of ground pressure, you can only apply so much weight into the "footprint" before you start having issues with the suits sinking into soft ground, this is why many of the military's robots are fitted with tracks, that all terrain mobility is critical to the armored suit concept.
Using 3ed stats (since I don't have 4ed), the suit masses 907kg. If we give it another 93kg of pilot and such to make it a nice even 1000kg, and then assume that it has two feet that are ellipses 12" long and 4" wide (not unreasonable, to me), then the total ground pressure is about 50kPa (~7.3 PSI). If my math is correct then with those reasonably sized feet it would exert about as much ground pressure as a barefoot person, and much less than a car.