View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Russia third archive

Extra Soviet Divisions for T2K

79th Guards Tank Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The 79th was redeployed East to China in the winter of 1995. It fought well during the Soviet spring offensive of 1996, but was badly mauled in the Chinese counterattack. Withdrawn into a reserve role, the division has been pretty much forgotten about by higher headquarters and the division commander is weighing possibilities of returning home.

Subordination: 17th Soviet Army
Current Location: Manchuria
Manpower: 600
Tanks: 1

27th Guards Tank Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The 27th was redeployed East to China by rail in the winter of 1995. It participated in the 1996 spring offensive, but was destroyed in a Chinese counterattack in May.

57th Guards Motor Rifle Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The 57th was preparing for deployment to the Far Eastern Front in late 1996 when the West German invasion of East Germany caught the division in a road march along the road to Dresden. The unit was badly mauled by Luftwaffe air strikes, but surviving remnants fought well, however, they too were used up by late 1997. In early 1998, the survivors were merged with the 39th GMRD.

47th Tank Brigade
A prewar Category I brigade based in East Germany, the 47th was sent East by rail to the Far Eastern Front in late 1995. It participated in the 1996 spring offensive and took horrendous casualties from Chinese ATGM during a massed assault on the Chinese defenses of Shenyang. Survivors of the brigade were reattached to other units.

7th Guards Tank Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany, the 7th fought well against the initial German invasion of 1996. In 1997, it was covering 3rd Shock Army’s retreat to the Polish border, and was caught in the flank by British I Corps. 1st and 3rd British Armored overran the hapless 7th and the few survivors that managed to reach Soviet lines were reassigned to other units.

47th Guards Tank Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The division fought well against the initial German invasion and NATO intervention. It gained a good reputation as a hard fighting unit and was the pride of 3rd Shock Army. As such, when the tactical nuclear exchanges of July 1997 broke out, the 47th was one of the first Soviiet units hit. Worse for the 57th, the 47th was caught in a road march when the strike occurred, little remained of the unit, and after a futile attempt to reform it, surviving elements were merged with 12th Guards Tank Division in 1998.

16th Guards Tank Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The division was caught preparing to deploy to the East by rail. Rebel East German units caught it at the Rostock railhead and mauled it. The division then remained in a reserve role with until 2nd Guards Army committed it in 1997 to cover the Army’s retreat from the disastrous battle of Sulechow. The 18th did well, but was brutally smashed by the US 36th Infantry Division. Survivors were reattached to other units.

207th Motor Rifle Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The division was caught in it’s cantonment in Stendal by the German invasion of 1996. Though the division fought hard and well, it was trapped in Stendal and was slowly ground down in a 3-month siege. After NATO entered the war, the CG of the 207th read the handwriting on the wall, and surrendered his division to the CG of the German 27th Panzer.

32nd Guards Tank Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The division fought well against the initial German invasion of 1996, but in December, it was destroyed in a running battle with the German 10th Panzer Division in a battle near Frankfurt-on-Oder. Surviving elements were reassigned to other units.

35th Motor Rifle Division
A prewar Category I division based in East Germany. The division was in the process of redeploying by rail to the Chinese theater. When the Germans crossed the IGB in October of 1996. The division was badly mauled as it was put into the line piecemeal. By the time the division was pulled out of the line in early 1997 and sent to Belorussia to rebuild, it was a shattered instrument. It took the division two years to rebuild to some sort of useful standard. In 1999, the division was ordered back into the line in Poland. The division has not fought well and is not seen as a very reliable unit for the most part.

Subordination: 20th Guards Army
Manpower: 1200
Tanks: 4

6th Motorized Rifle Brigade
A prewar Category I brigade stationed in East Germany, the 6th comprised the Soviet garrison for East Berlin. It and various East German units under its command comprised the “Berlin Unified Corps”. Upon the West German invasion of October 1996 (most of the East German units in Berlin remained loyal), the 6th and it’s other Berlin corps units sealed the East and prepared to defend the city against a German attack that never came.
In November 1996, as NATO intervened in Germany, the Berlin Unified Corps massed to attack West Berlin. The attack ended badly, and the 6th along with the rest of the Corps were mauled as NATO reinforcements arrived for the Berlin garrison. The 6th along with the rest of the Corps then settled in for a defense of East Berlin, and their defense was near fanatical, as they denied the Eastern half of Berlin to NATO for a month in some of the most brutal fighting seen in Europe since 1945.
The outcome was never in doubt however, as the city fell on January 9th, 1997 with the US 199th Infantry Brigade raising the American flag over the ruins of the Reichtag and the 1200 Soviet survivors surrendering en masse.

35th Air Assault Brigade
A Category I brigade stationed in East Germany., the 35th was shipped by air to the Far Eastern Front in February of 1996 as the was in China worsened. The unit then participated in the spring offensive of 1996. It’s role was to seize certain critical bridges over the Yangtse, but the relief columns never came, and the 35th was caught in a situation that one reporter said “made Arnhem look like a successful operation.” The 35th was overrun by massive Chinese human wave assaults and very few got away when the end came some four days after the unit made it’s drop behind Chinese lines. The unit was never reformed and those that did manage to get back to Soviet lines were reassigned to other units.

1st Guards Tank Division
A Category I division based in Czechoslovakia, the 1st acquitted itself well in the fighting of 1996 and 1997 against NATO. In August 1997, while in pursuit of US 116th ACR, the division was hit by two tactical nuclear weapons and the division was destroyed as a cohesive entity.

48th Motor Rifle Division
A Category I division based in Czechoslovakia, the 48th fought well from October 1996 to the present. The division has accrued a fine combat record and has absorbed the remnants of several other shattered units

Subordination: 41st Army
Manpower: 3000
Tanks: 5

2nd Guards Tank Division
A Category I division based in Hungary, the 2nd was being prepared to be shipped by rail to the Far East, when the Germans crossed the IGB in October of 1996. The orders to send the division were cancelled and the division spent the rest of 1996 being held in reserve, until January of 1997, when the division took the field against the Yugoslavs. The division fought well and at the conclusion of the campaign in Yugoslavia, was sent North to Poland in 1998, but was hit by three tactical nuclear weapons while marching through Hungary. The division was effectively destroyed, though bands of survivors range throughout Northeastern Hungary.

13th Guards Tank Division
A Category I division based in Hungary, the 13th was shipped by rail to the Far Eastern Front in the winter of 1995. The division participated in the spring offensive of 1996, and was badly mauled, having ran afoul of a massive Chinese “TOW front”. The division was soon pulled out of the line and sent to the Ukraine to rebuild. But, in late 1998, word came that the division was being sent to Poland, the division mutinied, and broke up. Marauder bands from it’s ranks now range throughout the Crimea.

93rd Guards Motor Rifle Division
A Category I division based in Hungary that was being prepared to be shipped by rail to the Far Eastern front in late 1996. Those orders were soon canceled when the West Germans crossed the IGB. The division was sent North to Poland in April 1997 as the situation worsened for the Warsaw Pact. The division was committed to fight a rearguard action for 8th Guards Army in the Warsaw area, and did so skillfully, but was trapped in the Warsaw pocket during the siege. The division was badly mauled in the desperate fighting and was kept in reserve in the Warsaw area once the siege had been lifted. The division however, was completely destroyed when NATO nuked Warsaw.

63rd Guards Motor Rifle Division
A Category II division based in the Leningrad MD. The division was called up in late 1995 to be sent to China, but was instead, with the outbreak of war in the West, sent to the Kola Peninsula to provide local security for the naval bases there. It did so until NATO nuclear strikes in November and December of 1997 destroyed the area and the division right along with it.

65th Guards Motor Rifle Division
A Category II division based in the Leningrad MD. The division was called up in early 1996 as things worsened in China, but was sent into action in Poland instead in March of 1997. The 65th was roughly handled, and was caught in a pocket near Wroclaw and destroyed by elements of US 3rd Armored Division.

36th Guards Naval Infantry Brigade
A Category I brigade based in the Leningrad MD. The brigade was sent North by rail to participate in the initial invasion of Norway in 1996. The Brigade landed at Bodo and held on for three weeks in a siege that resembled the fight at Narvik in 1940. Unlike Narvik though, the Soviet supplies gave out and the relief columns never reached the hapless Soviet Naval Infantrymen. The Brigade soon surrendered en masse after the local Norwegian commander showed the Brigade commander proof help wasn’t coming.

33rd Air Assault Brigade
A Category I Brigade based in the Leningrad MD. The brigade has been used as a rapid reaction and raiding force against NATO in Poland and has suffered accordingly. With a lack of aviation gasoline for aircraft, the unit has little or no tactical mobility, and is transitioning slowly to a horse mobile role.

Subordination: 1st Western Front
Manpower: 750

Naval Spetznaz Brigade
A Category I Brigade based in the Leningrad MD. The brigade elements have been spending the war operating as a long-range raiding and recon force, though with the destruction of the Red Banner Northern and Baltic Fleets, many of the teams from the brigade are cut off from help from the Soviet Union. Teams from the brigade can mostly be found in Norway, but a few have been encountered as far south as Scotland.

Subordination: Red Banner Leningrad Front
Manpower: approx. 800

15th Guards Tank Division
A Category II division based in the Baltic MD. The division was called up in late 1995 and ordered to begin training for possible service in China. However, with the entry of NATO into the war, the division was ordered to remain in place and prepare defenses of it’s home city of Kalingrad. The division never managed to see combat, as NATO never turned toward Kalingrad, being content to simply bypass it. But, as the nuclear exchange heated up, the division and the city were both destroyed by NATO warheads

40th Guards Tank Division
A Category II division from the Baltic MD, the division was called up in early 1997 as things became more desperate against NATO in Poland. The division’s training was poor and rushed, and as a result, it accrued a loathsome combat record,. In June 1997, the division was caught by NATO airpower in road column and was mauled badly, the division disintegrating under the pounding. The surviving elements of the division were reassigned to other units.

24th Guards Tank Division
A Category II division from the Baltic MD, the division was called up in early 1997 and like it’s sister division, the 24th, had considerable mobilization problems. It’s training was so poor, that STAVKA ordered it retrained before committing it to action. This was still ongoing by the time of the nuclear strikes in late 1997. As soon as word came of said strikes, an entire Motor Rifle battalion deserted with its equipment, forming the core of a “Latvian Liberation Detachment”. Finally, in 1998, the division was declared combat ready and was committed against the rebels in Latvia. It has had some sharp fights both with its old comrades and elements of the 26th GMRD.

Subordination: 11th Guards Army
Manpower: 1200
Tanks: 2

88th Motorized Rifle Division
A Category III division based in the Baltic MD. Earlier in the war, it was raided for equipment and manpower to get the 107th MRD ready for service. The unit was finally called up in 1999, woefully under strength and suffering from poor morale. The 11th Guards Army thus only uses the unit as a headquarters guard, not trusting the unit for anything else.

Manpower: 800
Tanks: 12

44th Airborne Division
The Soviet training formation for the airborne forces, the division was retained in its role until early 1998, where it was ordered into the field as a troop unit as part of 11th Guards Army. It was converted into a horse-borne raiding force and has carved out a very tough reputation for itself.

Manpower: 1400 cavalry