View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Default What is left aside

OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES
With this, I’ll try to explain why I leave several countries aside:

- Burundi and Rwanda: the ethnic war between Tutsis and Hutus would have started again and these countries would be at the center of one of the most chaotic region of Africa. Both countries would be at the center of this region of chaos but massacres and turmoil would extend on most of Uganda, on the North West of Tanzania and on Eastern DRC to the rich region of Katanga (Kolwezi). In these areas, villages would be at war with each other and you would witness scenes of barbary almost everywhere: people skinned alive, warrior eating the hearts and brains of their victims (in order to aquire their strength)… Moreover, several fighting goups would be using the local sorcerer and a large amount of drugs. That will not make them invincible but as they would not feel pain, as a result of it, they would be able to sustain much more wound level that they normally should. Good luck.

- Cape Verde Islands: Not much to say except that they are islands and might have cut themselves from the world, much like other islands in the Carribean. Its army is composed of 4 infantry company (about 200 each).

- Central Africa: I don’t know much about this country and it might well have survived. It’s self-sufficient and at the same time on the brink of starvation. Moroever, it ccan be doubtful that the country surviving without UN backing. Finally, the army is so small (about 3500) that I doubt that it can really face any internal threat. That’s a do as you please country.

- Chad: This country would have dissolved under ethinc pressure and it would not retain any kind of armed forces. However, several militias can hold the ground depending on the location.

- Cote d’Ivoire: Taking into account the event that led to the French intervention in that country I considered that it is in a stage of Civil War. All French troops had been withdrawn and they were sent to Cameroon in order to reinforce the local government and control the resources of that other country.

- Equatorial Guinea: Nothing sufficient to work with. Anyway with something like 1000 troopers, that country would have been swallowed in the general chaos predominating in T2K.

- Ethiopia/Somalia/Sudan: Ethiopia has the largest ground force of sub-saharian Africa (at some point, around 300000 troops with about 30 Infantry Division+several other units) but at the time of T2K it was in turmoil. The last communist dictator had fallen (also you can think of a Russian intervention in support of Mengistu for v1.0) and the army was facing several insurgent groups (including several groups from Eritrea). Moreover, in real life, it was believed that the army could only achieve a 30% level of readiness. With all this, I considered that the country is in Chaos, being in the middle of the second area of pure chaos in Africa (the first one being centered on Burundi and Rwanda). This area would include Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan (everyone knows about the situation in these two countries). However, if I’ll consider both Somalia and Sudan to be in anarchy that might not be the case for all of Ethiopia. I easily can imagine areas of stability centered on religious communities. Nevertheless, if you were to travel in this area you could face well equipped rebel groups (by T2K’s standard) with tanks, APCs, artillery and heavy weapons. In this region people are not equipped with matchets as they are in the Burundi/Rwanda region. Nice place to go if you want to have fun. Why go there could you ask? I can come up with several idea including the facts that the French retain a base in Djibouti and that US troops are still in Kenya. Else, this is a land of all possible fantasy, one of the oldest country on earth and an ancient Christian Kingdom.
If you want to know more on the Orbat, just take a look at wikipedia, I don’t have anything more.
Equipments to be found: T-72, M60, T-62, T-55, M-47, T-34, M41 light tank, Type 62 light tank, AML-90, BRDM-2, Ferret, Saladin, BMP-1, BTR-50, BTR-60, BTR-152, V-150 Commando, M113,ZSU-57-2, ZSU-23-4, M163 Vulcan, BM-21, FH155, FH122, FH105, FH75…

- Gambia: That country would have fallen to Senegal or to the rebels operating in the south of Senegal.

- Liberia: I considered that this country was in total chaos at the time of T2K. For a question of ease I plunged it back into it during T2013.

- Malawi: Depending a lot on outside help, I expect that country to have vanished. However, it might be a fairly quiet rural region.

- Mozambique: I think that this country would be facing a full civil war involving troops from the original government and the Renamo. The situation could be slightly better than in the horn of Africa or than around Burundi/Rwanda but it would be chaos, nevertheless.

- Niger: I don’t think that this country survived. It would be the theatre and the rear base of Tuareg insurgency.

- Nigeria: For that important country of Africa, you’ll find a good source in the Merc Gazeteer. Sorry if I’m not coming up with anything but that’s pure leaziness on my part. That country was among the only one to be nuked in Africa (with Cabinda), it is facing a multiple front civil war and it is simply confusion with a tremendous death rate among the population. One word: Devastated!

- Sierra Leone: Civil War.

- Uganda: Being drawn into the war between Hutus and Tutsis, this country would have collapsed.

I'm done with Africa, feel free to add some