Thread: OMEGA Revisited
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

One thing that makes no sense - and I mean absolutely no sense at all to the point that its a canon breaker in my opinion - is that none of the units brought back are reformed. I covered this in my Olefin universe story right off the bat. Lets look at the units that came back - the following ones reported for the evacuation intact and organized

3rd US AD – 5000 men - pre- war regular division

28th ID – 1000 men - National Guard

4th US MD – 1000 men- pre- war regular division

1st US AD – 4000 men - pre-war regular division

3rd US MD – 5000 men - pre-war regular division

6th US ID – 2000 men - pre-war regular division

38th US ID – 4000 men - National Guard

278th US ACR – 400 men - pre-war regular ACR

thats 22,400 men in organized units with their officer, NCO and unit cohesion intact - seven divisions and one ACR and two intact Army HQ orgs to command them (of which only two are Guard units)

And none of them are mentioned in Howling Wilderness? Sorry but the idea that the military literally never reforms any of these units after the evacuation is zero. Dont care how disorganized it gets - unless you have the entire fleet sink and everyone on board is killed some of these units would have been stood to, reformed with whatever equipment they had left and sent out at the very least for security operations.

Now many units showed up disorganized and falling apart - and those I could see people saying the heck with it and leaving - they already had their discipline and unit cohesion gone.

But every single unit - literally no chance - as in zero. Loren screwed up pure and simple. He did have some of the returnees sent as reinforcements but only a fraction - less than ten percent of the total.

And some of his desertions make no sense - look at the math and literally some units would not have held together with the desertion rates he gives - there wouldnt have been a unit left by the time the reinforcements arrived.

And the one unit that absolutely positively would have been reformed is the 28th - they are a PA unit and literally could have walked to Harrisburg or stolen transportation to there.