View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
First, why would bases be so scattered? I mean, we only see one in the official modules, but how does that show us their actual density?
We have Prime base, Delta Base (Starnaman) , Commo base KA (Final Watch), VB-1 medical (Final Watch), Commo Base KE (American Outback), Agricultural base TA-14 (Fall Back), Power station TN-7, Water station TN-6 (Desert Search). All of them are well concealed and very far off from urban centers or .gov landmarks. The Ag base is the only one besides Prime with the ability to perform repairs on vehicles. Bases are small, typically unmanned and far, far from urban areas under the most orchestrated of deception projects.

One of the most important, regional bases has not been presented in a module just yet.
Quote:
Second, what are the odds that the part that you need is even going to be available at a truck garage anyway? Bearing in mind that the only parts that are likely to be interchangeable will be suspension parts anyway, it seems just as likely that you could jury-rig something as needed rather than find a direct replacement. And then yes, get the parts sent from the Project.
Not at all. What even gives you that idea in the first place? This is specifically why the engineers are using the F550 as the platform for this vehicle……… Suspension, wheels, hubs, drivetrain, transmission, differentials, wiring components, seats, seatbelts, lighting…….. better than 50% of this vehicle (I’ll have to read their website again) is off the shelf to make it more attractive to the typical buyer. City police departments and .gov agencies. The MP is going to swap the diesel motor for an electric one and a fusion plant of the same dimensions…… same transmission. Not even the DoD tries to have parts exclusive only to one vehicle wherever possible…… Tail lights and headlights being something that is universal across all land platforms.
Quote:
I should note that, related to this, I never, NEVER had all my players in one MPV. Big risk for any team, more than seems reasonable to bear.
Which however, is very MP…….. only Damocles and Lonestar starts with the PCs in more than one MPV.
Quote:
If they are fronts for the Project, why is this an issue? Heck, they could stock deuterium if that is the case!
It isn’t canon but, we speculate all the time who and what is the Council of Tomorrow. Where else did they ready for the War besides directly into boltholes and secret bases……… All the bases are far, far away from where things would be needed most in the 3-5 year plan. Owning a truck stop chain with multiple locations along primary and secondary routes always with 20 miles of a major city, large town, or important piece of infrastructure gives a group a level of support locally.
Quote:
Realistically, you cannot have a fleet of vehicles without establishing a logistical support network. Parts should and would be pre-positioned based on the likelihood and consequence of failure, whether that was at bases or just in supply caches at the Group-level. Likewise, whether we see them or not, the tools and skills would have to be there too, even if the entirety of repair in TMP is limited to two skills!
You can’t burden the Team down with more equipment……. The vehicle load is already ridiculous with ammo and gear…… the most common “parts” in a cache are V-150 tires….. which is stupid…… These are the same size as 5 tons and dumptrucks.
Quote:
But this is not a civilian fleet, it is a completely different conundrum with completely different assumptions. Plus,
This is a civilian fleet. The MP project is a completely civilian venture……….. These people are not military or government; financed and run by altruistic businessmen…….. There is every indication it was run as they know how, like a corporation.
Quote:
I cannot see why cost would be a factor here - the boss is a time traveler, there is no reason why the Project should not have had a finger in every major investment and development in the US. Heck, I would believe it if half the gambling winnings in this country were secretly funneled to Project accounts!
I discussed this with Richard Tucholka once via skype. The Morrow Project is one dimension of all the dimensions in games created by Richard and Tri Tac games……… Now, Richard will say that MP belongs to Timeline and Chris Garland (and has to me) but, when it was his………….. Bruce Morrow is a dimensional traveler, he doesn’t always get back to the correct dimension at the correct point in time…… So what he does in one, prevent the War, in another all is lost, another MP functions flawlessly, in another it is despotic…….. there is an infinite number of earths.
Quote:
I agree that it makes for good roleplay, but I would use that as jury-rigging - finding the spring or wheel bearing that is "close enough", banging and cutting it into shape, and then living with the reduced performance and questionable reliability until they get the correct part from command.
You would not be unless we are talking about the armor, bullet resistant glass, or NBC system……. Everything possible would be stock F550.
Quote:
It isn't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it's kind of like saying you want to build an air force based on commercially-available civilian parts - there are going to be a few places here and there where you can get away with it, but for the most part that F-14 just isn't going to take that Cessna altimeter! The ease of getting parts doesn't matter if those parts perform poorly and constantly fail because they are being overtaxed.
This is totally a strawman……. A stryker isn’t a tank even with a 105mm on top either.
Quote:
As a side note, when I did my last redo of the TOE, I started with the assumption that everything was based around the "current" US inventory - it would allow for easier movement and generally higher trust. That having been said, it would be mostly about appearances, with many differences compared to the issue vehicles.
Which isn’t consistent with 3rd edition and your own home brew……… Canon has teams and equipment begin being placed in boltholes in the 60s and 70s with an equipment update in 1985 for a war in 1989.

You can’t expect to argue your homebrew system or timeline argument with us…… We like to hear it for sure, but everyone has their own. Canon is the only thing we have in common……. And that can be debated tirelessly.
Quote:
Eh, if they really want to not do anything, I can wait them out. After a few ransacked, burned villages, they start to get the idea that they either have to adapt and take risks, or have a game whether they are just tourists to disaster. In which case, planning gets really easy!!
That gets tedious by the third session for me (the GM)…… have to form that connection with NPCs to get them out………. The woman screaming in the woods didn’t even work to lure them out and be heroes……. So the girl did get eaten by ritualistic cannibals versus being saved by the brave MP team.