View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
A thread to debate the technical aspects of how stuff works -

I will start off by asking :

what would be the armour value of a standard steel shipping container -the kind that come of the boat from china - app 10 meters long ,3 m wide and 3 m tall -you have seen the kind in any number of ports you have passed or even on a flatbed truck on the road .

I am after the "generic" type that can be found everywhere .Anyone know about this ?

I am assuming they are made from cheap steel or some such and want to know what kind of cover they will provide in a firefight .

assumed as empty of course -not
stacked with kevlar vests hehe..
They are generally 14 gauge steel - about 2mm thick. The walls (and roof) are not able to handle any major load - all the strength is in the end posts, as they are designed to be stacked many high. So if you bury one, its a race between the walls and the roof to see who collapses first!

They make good shelter, and you can pile sandbags (or steel plate) up around them for armor, (need some sort of structure over the roof to hold a load there) but don't count on them stopping much in the way of incoming rounds!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...