View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDeCorba View Post
I think the transition from an industrially prepared and serviced menu to, well, simpler foods (variations according to local resources, knowhow and ingenuity) would pose very serious morale problems for a lot of western troops. One thing is the learning curve, another is the ability to appreciate how lucky one can be to have a handful of spuds in a dirthole, as opposed to none. In this respect the Russians have huge cultural advantage in coping with adverse conditions- they're simply a lot more fatalistic.
With the partial loss of industrial food production and distribution, gathering enough calories would become a lot more labor intensive and probably divert a lot of attention and effort away from fighting a war for principles. Principles that are likely to lose a lot of meaning for the individual in the foxhole- with or without spuds.

But, I'm curious, I play in a different campaign (Headquarters'), that seems to be a bit on the colourful side compared to what you're discussing here.
Do your campaigns all play out in mainland Europe? What rank are your characters? Is the 'party' a squad or similar-sized unit part of a line formation or a more specialized outfit? What movie would best describe the mood?
Ours is a very entertaining mix of high-powered action movies, bizarre megalomaniac characters, backstabbing and exotic weapon systems sprinkled with gritty realism, drug abuse and a well-developed, somewhat baroque backdrop. I've always thought it would make a fabulous manga movie.
I really enjoy our long-running campaign, but I've often wished for a bit more "sachlichkeit" from my co-players, sometimes from myself. (Rolf, if you're reading this, I adore the dust whirled up by your stylish boots- but you know what I'm talking about.)
I wonder if you're talking about your own character here...kind of remember all of them like this....

sachlichkeit????------why do all my former slaves rant about this....'????

(I'm just playing my god-given part.....I blame society...but you dare blame the GM......what a mindfield you're entering!!!)

..27 days to next session