View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo80 View Post
There is a working salt mine in Salzburg. To my way of thinking, any troop in the area would seize the mine. Salt would once again become "money" as in the time of the Roman Empire. Trade salt for meat, veggies....

AS others have said in this thread, canning, pickling, salting, smoking would all resurrect VERY quickly once the power went out.

I think Nate's comment is appropriate. If you had a group of recovering troops, preparing food is tedious, but not necessarily strenuous.

Hmmm..... Scenario fodder!!!????@@@

My $0.02 !

Mike
There's an episode of the tv show Firefly that has the gang being chased all over the solar system by the Alliance because during the beginning of the show they found a derelict military spaceship and boosted many crates of rations off of it (apparently the bad guys liked to keep people on the edge of starvation? I guess? I didn't watch that show much.)

So imagine the characters hear - and see evidence of - actual real pre TDM MREs and the word comes down from command that a cargo vessel, thought destroyed, had washed aground somewhere on the Polish Baltic coast. Contents? 150000 pre-TDM MRE mealpacks. The Soviets don't know it's there but it's well outside the operational range of Germany.

Might make a good scenario leading up to Going Home - getting foodstuffs for the trip...