View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 11:58 PM
Registered Registrant

By way of additional rules for more survival oriented games, the following is a set of rules I made for pain and pain treatment for a Dark Conspiracy campaign some years ago.
Based on 2.2 rules but it's so rules light that I think it would work with earlier editions of T2k with minor changes as necessary but keep in mind these rules were created to increase the levels of stress for Players (worrying about their Characters) and aren't meant to be totally realistic (they were created to integrate into the 2.2 rules with as little disruption as possible.)

I hadn't created any mechanics to deal with medical intervention to help someone recover from a coma so that's not covered, I just left it as a medical check with appropriate difficulty modifiers.
I also hadn't figured any rules for detailing how many extra days a coma would last due to unsuccessful medical intervention.
So yeah, only about 80% developed but at least it gives you a reason to use all those pain relief items in the equipment list!
Take them and tweak them for your own games or ignore them completely but if you have any suggestions/corrections/additions, feel free to comment.

Pain

Pain rules operate in the same manner as the Fatigue rules, for every level of Pain accumulated the Character’s Attributes are reduced by 1 (however the effects are different to the effects of Fatigue).

Pain is accumulated in the following way: -

1. For every Slight Wound acquired, the PC gains 1 Pain Level

2. For every Serious Wound acquired, the PC gains 1 Pain Level

3. For every Critical Wound acquired, the PC gains 2 Pain Levels

Every time a Serious Wound gains enough extra damage to be elevated to a Critical Wound, add one Pain Level.

Note that Pain Levels are cumulative with Fatigue Levels i.e. they are added together to determine the ultimate effects of Pain. For example, if a PC is suffering from 2 Pain Levels and 1 Fatigue Level, add the Pain to the Fatigue to give a total of 3 Pain Levels to decide when a PC is approaching/has reached severe pain or a coma.

When either Constitution or Intelligence reaches half their score (use the higher of the two), the Character is suffering from severe Pain and ALL tasks become one Difficulty Level harder to accomplish.

When either Constitution or Intelligence reaches 0 (use the higher of the two), the Character is immobilized by Pain and can conduct no actions whatsoever.

Pain relief medication must be applied to reduce Pain Levels and a Character may self-administer most types, however if they are immobilized by Pain they cannot self-administer.

If multiple Pain Levels are acquired to the point of any two Attributes reaching 0, the PC lapses into a pain-induced coma which lasts for one day per level of Pain suffered, e.g. if 8 Pain Levels are acquired, the coma lasts for 8 days. Recovery from the coma before this time requires successful medical intervention. Unsuccessful intervention can increase the length of the coma period.

The following methods may be used to try and combat Pain: -

Mild Pain Reliever. Reduces one level of Pain per 4-hour Period. Any extra levels of Pain suffered in this period cannot be relieved by this medication no matter how many more doses are taken.

Moderate Pain Reliever
. Relieves on Pain Level upon application. Multiple applications can be used to combat multiple levels of Pain. Can be addictive if the number of units given in a 24-hour period is greater than the patients’ Constitution score.

Strong Pain Reliever. Relieves all levels suffered for one Period (4-hours) including any new levels of Pain suffered during the Period. Can be addictive if the number of units given in a 24-hour period is greater than half the patients’ Constitution score.

Local Anaesthetic. Reduces one level of Pain for one Period (4-hours), multiple doses can be applied to reduce extra levels of Pain in the same period. However a person can only have doses equal to their Constitution score applied before it no longer provides any benefit.

Total Anaesthetic. Reduces all levels of Pain suffered for one Period (4-hours) including any new levels suffered during that Period. A person can have doses equal to half their Constitution score administered in a 12-hour period before it no longer provides any additional relief i.e. doses greater than half CON in that period will not stop any additional Pain Levels gained but will still treat Pain suffered before the half CON level was reached. Can be addictive if the number of units given in a 24-hour period is greater than half the patients’ Constitution score.