View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Default Thinking about NPC damage

I seem to be in a mood to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks this week...

So, for Christmas I received the Deluxe Edition of Savage Worlds. There's a design note that struck a chord with me regarding how NPCs take damage, "Up, Down, or Out." In those rules, when a PC or NPC takes damage, you compare the damage rolls vs. Toughness, and if the damage is greater, the target is Shaken; for every 4 points over, the target takes a Wound. PCs and important NPCs can take 3 Wounds before going out, most NPCs take only one to go out. Shaken means the target loses its next action, but could roll to recover it. Thus, minis (or whatever) on the table are either Up, Down (Shaken/Wounded) or Out.

Obviously, I'm now wondering about applying this to T2k, and our oft-visited issue of whether bullets do enough damage in this game (v2.) or are too variable (v1), or whatever.

The bit I am wondering about is whether I want to continue, in T2k, tracking 20 (or 2*2d10) hit points for NPCs, and where they got hit, while watching PCs shrug off multiple minor wounds. Maybe I'm tired of watching players struggle with the math involved in v1 damage calculations? The GM I've played with recently has been doing away with NPC damage entirely-- "you hit him, he's down"-- I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far?

Opinions? I think I need to experiment with this, at least.