View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 04:52 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipus View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I've worked as a military contractor and on a number of training systems/aids over the years. I've worked with a lot of SMEs on a lot of topics; everything from doctrine-level down to CQB and vocab on radio calls.

Difference between a good, smart SME and a bad one? The smart ones would say right away "Look, everyone has their own way of doing this and they're all going to tell you it's the only way."
As a SME (apparently my customers consider me to be one, even though I'm constantly trying to improve), I concur...

The problem with people who are considered experts is two-fold. First - the bricklayer's fallacy usually pops up.

The second one is that expert opinion is almost always flawed when taken out of context or misinterpreted by the layperson.

I guess it will depend on just what level of detail all the players are interested in. My opinion is that you really need players who are closer to the bean-counter end of the player spectrum of you want to keep track of what should be incredibly scarce resources. The average D&D player isn't going to be able to handle that type of "configuration management" (even though they'll do it while counting their gold and detailing out the requirements for a magic item or spell...) Lots of players don't get that the tedious list of items packratted away in the stryker or MRAP is actually their treasure horde...

Last edited by 3catcircus; 05-04-2021 at 05:01 PM.