View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
In the Falklands, the RN couldn't counter the Argentinians' Exocet missiles and many British troops swapped their semi-auto FN SLRs for the Argentinian's full-auto FN FALs. IMPO, it was the superior training and experience of the Israelis and Brits that allowed them to triumph, not their technological superiority.
I'd have to agree that, in the Falklands at least (I don't know much about the Arab-Israeli wars) the deciding factor was morale and training, not equipment. The only difference between the British SLR and the Argentinian FAL, as you've mentioned, is that the SLR didn't do full-auto. At least, not officially: I've heard from several ex-soldiers that inserting a match in the correct place made it fire full-auto. I seem to recall that many of the British attacks were night attacks because the British thought they had more night-vision equipment, when in fact the Argentinians had more.

As for the Exocets, the Royal Navy was lucky that Argentina hadn't taken delivery of it's full order, and France refused to deliver the remainder, so the Argentinian navy only had relatively few, and had to use iron bombs when the missiles ran out.

Twilight:2000 Resources