View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
If Japan could occupy some islands in the Aleutian chain in 1942-43, I think the Russians could do at least as much, possibly island-hopping their way to Anchorage ...
Well, landing troops on the Aleutians during the latter years of the Twilight War is a recipe for starvation, cannibalism and mutiny. I can imagine Soviet Naval Infantry storming Adak Island Naval Air Station, but after wrecking the place they'd have to withdraw, move forward, or die in place. There's little that could support the invasion force until they reach Kodiak Island, Anchorage and the Seward Peninsula.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken. If the Japanese can get away with dumping troops into the Aleutian Islands, maybe it's no so preposterous that the Soviets (given some plausible alternate history) could occupy the coastal areas of Alaska or even British Columbia. Although for my money the Soviets would more likely end up strung out along the Can-Am Highway through B.C, the Yukon and south-eastern Alaska than places like the Queen Charlotte and Vancouver Islands. Ah well, the canon does have it's warts...

...but that's sort of why this site exists. To exchange ideas so that we can smooth out those warts.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing