View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Player to be named later

I'd like to preface my comments by stating that my real world range time is a bit spotty, but I'll say that few things in life are more enjoyable than ripping through several boxes of 12ga shells with a nice pump action. Sure, recoil can be an issue but with a little practice it can be controlled to a pretty good extent usually. In my younger days I was able to hold a Remington 870 on target while rapid-cycling 3" Magnum rifled slugs, and I think I tipped the scales at about 140 then. Practice helped, and so did adrenaline, although my right shoulder was usually black and blue afterwards...

I actually preferred a well broken in Winchester that another friend had, as opposed to the first guy's Remington, and I've fired a few Mossbergs that felt nice over the years too. I'd love to get my hands on one of those Stoeger pump actions I saw reviewed a few years ago too, with the "bullpup" top feed design and selectable separate tubes.

I also find it hard to fault pump action feed mechanisms, they've worked reliably for well over a century, so if I have to do home defense or room clearing that sort of reliability is a plus for me.