View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
DON'T TEMPT ME!!

Too late... how do you know?
Hm? Oh. I ran a pretty good PBP game many years ago when I had a forum of my own. Everything was going spiffy, there was a "narrative event" where an arty shell burst near the group's PC and peppered it with fragments. By the rules I had to do lethal amounts of damage to the vehicle - I rolled it up, catastrophic fuel/ammunition hit - but instead let that slide on the players behalf. I didn't tell them or even indicate I was doing that, because the arty round was a one-in-a-million direct hit. But, I thought, no, I should at least suggest that was a really close round.

So I did. I said that there was the wham of an impact, a couple of caution lights on the dash came on, and the whistling sound of air through a new hole or three in the hull could be heard.

My GM ruling was to just have that "omigod!" moment and carry on, but apparently this was too mean to the players, and formerly levelheaded players started throwing a fit, the game got derailed for a long while, and I lost nearly all the players; half because they thought I was being a dick with that "impossible hit", and the other half because they were disgusted with the first half.

tl;dr, don't game with people you don't already know.