View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
At last, I give more weight to any comments made by any of you on this forum as we are all amateurs with, then, no interests behind them (or so I can think). The guy is writing on what seem to be a pro site that is living on how many people they attract more than on how well made their comments are done.
Well, he is writing from the perspective of someone who's published in the industry - ergo, as much of a "pro" as me, and with companies as well-known as any for which I've worked. I won't say that makes his opinion any more right, but I do feel it makes him more at least somewhat more informed on game design within the constraints of the industry.

Even if I don't agree with a lot of what he wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
This is true but I am happy to back up any comments I make on the internet in person with anyone who might like to come and see me about them. I actually got into some trouble on some of the old RPGHost forums when some smart arsed fools started getting personal and I invited them to meet with me face to face.
Mmm... with all due respect, Targan, I don't see such invitations as carrying any particular value, given the impracticality of making a transcontinental or transoceanic flight for the sole purpose of face-to-face discussion on something that ultimately really isn't that important when you put it in perspective. It's a lot more reasonable to make such requests if you're in the same city, but the distributed nature of this medium has some weird effects on what would otherwise be somewhat normal social conventions. I'll acknowledge the principle of geographically-induced consequences, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
However, I found the people attacking the reviewer idea of a "monster book" with heavy rules to be fair.
Why am I not surprised at this, given your stated position on the lack of completeness in certain parts of the book? As I noted over in the 93GS forums (and in the original review's comment thread), I'm baffled by his insistence that the book is too big, given that every other size complaint I can recall has had to do with the lack of certain content on the military-heavy end of the scale.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 12-18-2008 at 05:55 AM.