Thread: Prime Base
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer View Post
I had one at Eagle peak in 87 and I had no problem with water. Only problem had was fire. It only screams government facility in hindsight. Go through all the ranches like this you see on maps all over the north american continent and you'll see just how many aren't government facilities.

A mine was the better way to do it, especially if you place toxic mine tailing warning signs around the perimeter. A better option would have been toxic waste facility. Before the war and after the war it would keep people away, the last thing the refugees want is more contamination. You can't just build such a facility with thoughts of only keeping people away pre-war. Operational security before, during and after the war MUST be taken into account or don't even bother with it. When survivors are roaming around after the war they are going to be looking for places of safety and a hospital is about the very worst thing anyone could have come up with. It offers refugees shelter and possible medical help, it gives military personnel a nice FOB. Might as well put up a giant neon sign "Refugees welcome" and a continuous fireworks display. A hospital would be the very first thing I got rid of from the book. Again, operational Security, before, during, and after the war must be maintained. You don't reveal the site until you are absolutely sure it is the right time to do so. If this group of people are even remotely good at planning for contingencies they would never even think of something so ridiculous as a hospital.

If this group was to think of creating refugee camps they would have already planned for that contingency. Prepared sites would have already been created, using such guises as dude ranches, retreats, even hollywood movie sets like some old west towns similar to these:

I like your deception plan, but one problem there, once the deception base is discovered what is going to make the badguys move on? What keeps them from staying and holding the facility? You don't know if this is the entire hostile force or just a part of it, you take it back and then they come back and on it goes back and forth and the primary facility will eventually get discovered, it's only a matter of when not if.
Great, now I'm giving myself a headache thinking about it.
Buy stock in Bayer....

Sitting down and thinking it over, a mine that works over a 10-15 year stretch and then closes when "the vein ran out" may be a better approach; I like the HAZMAT idea, even plays into canon (Starnaman Incident's Delta Base cover).

As far as the modified deception, the part of the canon that I liked was having the remaining transcore in the Supply Cylinder and its "leaking radiation hazard"...that would certainly encourage people to move on, and with a lack of power (no water, no air circulation) what use would the base be?

As far as the refugee sites, no argument from me! I think the covers would be great. My point is that any refugee site would need to be placed as far as possible from Prime Base. Of all TMP installations, Prime is the one that requires "no assistance of any kind to refugees". Prime should be directing other teams to move into the area and encourage refugees to move away from the area, I can even see a PsyOps Team telling stories about the deadly monsters in the area, perhaps even stashing a can or three of nuclear waste and then using their geiger counters to "prove" how deadly the radiation in the area is.

Just a couple of ideas....now going back to watch all of the idiots doing the Black Friday thang!