View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Registered Registrant

Considering the claims in the past that Indonesia wanted to grab great chunks of territory from those nations as part of the "Greater Indonesian Empire", my first reaction is that they would probably politically condemn Indonesian attacks on PNG.
Whether they would have the resources or the political desire to assist PNG resist the Indonesian invasion is another matter entirely - I'd have to read the books again to see what level of activity they were at regards the T2k situation before I was confident in saying whether or not they had the resources and/or desire to assist PNG.

Given that in the early to mid 1960s, Indonesia had tried to invade Malaya and North Borneo to oppose the union of those two protectorates (along with Sarawak) into the new nation of Malaysia, there's plenty of bad blood between Indonesia and her near neighbours (and in any of the T2k timelines it's still within living memory of senior military & governmental personnel).
But this is where the old ties between British Commonwealth nations, former SEATO nations and the ANZUS nations would likely come into play perhaps?

If the T2k wider conflict was not happening, I could very well see those countries opposing Indonesia with political, financial, trade and even military action. With the T2k war happening... again, I'd have to read up on whatever history is listed for those nations before I could really form any opinion on what they would be capable of doing and more importantly, whether it would be worth them taking those particular actions.
Having said that I can well imagine Singapore and Malaysia being particularly antsy about Indonesian actions in PNG because for them, it's literally "You're next".
Another factor would be Brunei, they supply a lot of oil and natural gas, it would surely be a tempting addition for Indonesia (but even if it's not, that fear would probably still exist). They have the wealth to finance support for PNG but I can't say whether they would do it unless they felt that Indonesia's invasion of PNG was part of a larger action to expand Indonesian control over the region.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.