View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Mercenaries, I was actually thinking of the mercenary of old, such as during the 100 years war and such, since that is what Europe would have devolved into, lots of independent cities, a return of the city state. With these cities siding with PACT or NATO or even declaring their own independence or as free cities such as Krakow. And it is in these instances when a non descript group who seems to be on no ones side would be useful, and deniable.
I agree with you on this. These regional powers may declare broadly for NATO or the WP, but their problems are going to be local ones and they are not going be able to count on the assistance of NATO or the WP to help solve them.

Someone earlier (stainlesssteelcynic) mentioned the "free companies" of the late middle ages. I think that's an excellent example. Check out the wikipedia listing for John Hawkwood.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hawkwood

While the remnants of NATO and the WP wouldn't necessarily have as many reasons to employ mercenaries, these semi-independent city-states would. While the remnants of the various national governments try to maintain control of their armies, local governments, strongmen and warlords are always going to be in the market for muscle. Sure it can come in the form of hiring individual deserters, stragglers, and marauders into your force, but if you need a big force for a big job, but don't want them hanging around afterwards eating you out of house and home, you hire a free company.

They go in, do the job, get paid, get lost.

Back to business as usual for your TW2K city state.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing