View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
The traditional argument is that the A-10 is more capable of low-level flight for terrain protection from ground fire and is more likely to survive the inevitable hits. In practice, we'd need someone to do a deep dive into the respective designs' records of combat losses versus damaged aircraft returning to friendly tarmac.

- C.
I'll go along with "more survivable", not least for the A-10 having two engines vs one. I remember much being made of the A-10's redundant control systems, but have no idea, off-hand, if the A-7 had those, too.

"Low-level flight", to me, sounds more like a pilot-training issue, and with both planes designed for subsonic low-level attack missions, I suspect there may not be much difference here.

A quick skim of Wikipedia turned up that A-7s were well-regarded over Vietnam by the Navy pilots, especially for low fuel consumption. Air Force A-7s had only 6 losses for 12,928 sorties, lowest for any fighter in theater, and second only to B-52s for tonnage dropped on Hanoi. The Navy recorded 98 A-7 losses, no data on sorties given.

Wikipedia again: For ODS, 8100 A-10 sorties, 4 losses.

Last edited by Adm.Lee; 04-04-2024 at 06:34 AM.