View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 PM

I think it would be cool to see the Forum's take on rules for guided missiles that use MCLOS (Manual Command Line of Sight) guidance where the user "flies" the missile with a controller, versus SACLOS (Semi-Automatic Command Line of Sight) where the user just keeps his sights on the target and the guidance computer makes all the corrections (reducing "human error") in the missile's flight path.

I know MCLOS has the following traits:

- They are usually wire or radio controlled (Pact uses radio control a great deal). The radio controlled versions can be jammed (ask the Israelis).
- They are VERY SLOW (about 100m per second) to allow for human reflexes to correct their flight.

- The missile launcher is connected to a separate CLU (Command-Launch Unit) by a cable and multiple missiles can be connected to one CLU BUT ONLY ONE CAN BE LAUNCHED AT A TIME.

- The Operator is more difficult to detect (Ave:Obs) because the missile can be separated by the up to 120 meters from the CLU (the actual distance varies from system to system). The only reason there is an Ave:Obs roll is because the missile will "juke" or make an obvious movement in order to be "gathered" by the CLU's optical sight. This can give away the CLU's location.

- The setup on these missiles preclude man-portable systems being used in the attack. They take too long to emplace. Vehicle mounts do not have this issue. MCLOS systems must be fired while stationary as movement will often throw off the gunner's aim.

- The operator is keeping track of the missile via a flare in the tail of the unit. Anything that blocks his vision will decrease his chance to hit.

MCLOS systems have been out of service since the 1970's in both the Warsaw Pact and NATO but do appear in a large number of third world armies.

SACLOS systems have the following traits:

- They can be Radio-guided, Wire-guided (including Fiber Optics), Laser-guided, and Radar-guided.

- Their speed varies by the guidance system and generation but generally conform to the speeds listed below.
wire guided: 200 to 250 meters per second.
fiber optic wire guided: 300 to 400 meters per second.
radio guided (AT): 300 meters per second.
radio guided: (AA): 400 meters per second to Mach 3.
laser guided: (AT): 400 to 600 meters per second.
laser guided (AA): Mach 1.5 to Mach 4+ (StarStreak)
radar guided (normally AA): Mach 1.5+

- The CLU is very close to the launcher (if not attached) because the computer makes corrections to the missile by comparing the difference between the CLU and the missile's current flight path. Except for select computerized AA fire controls, you may only fire ONE missile at a time from a SACLOS system.

- The SACLOS system is an Easy:Obs to detect because the CLU is NEVER far from the launcher (see above).

- These systems are fairly man-portable and can be used in an assault. Early generation radio-guided and wire-guided missiles must be fired while stationary. Any movement of the launcher can "confuse" the guidance computer which may result in a miss. Later generations of weapons (especially the laser-guided missiles) can be fired WHILE MOVING.

- Radio and radar-guided systems can be jammed. Most "optically tracked" SACLOS systems use IR tracking (with an IR tracking flare in the missile's tail) and are not affected by normal smoke. The Shorta system, Dual Spectrum Smoke (in common use since 1995) and WP WILL block the computer's ability to track the missile. IR systems can also be affected by IR jammers like the Air Force ALQ-157. Laser guided missiles Will also be affected by these but can also set off any warning devices on AFVs that detect laser rangers.

- Wire guided missiles can be affected by terrain, due to that terrain "snagging the control wire." I give light woods, and rubble a One Difficulty Level shift and heavy woods and rubble a Two Difficulty Level shift. I rule that The base Chance To Hit includes the chance of a bush or other object "snagging the wire" during firing (the Aim Action to double To Hit Difficulty is the operator basically taking any objects in the missile's flight path into account and adjusting for them). Laser-guided missiles experience a One Difficulty Level shift in heavy woods and heavy rubble (due to "interference" with the laser guidance beam).

SACLOS missiles are the most common battlefield missile.

I set my To Hit Difficulty Levels (for a snap shot) for missile systems based on generation and guidance type.

MCLOS Systems: DIFFICULT (0.5 X Skill)
Early Radio and Wire guided: AVERAGE (1 X Skill)
Advanced Radio and Wire (Fiber Optic) guided: ROUTINE (1.5 X Skill)
Basic Laser and Radar guided: ROUTINE (1.5 X Skill)
Multi-Spectrum Laser and Advanced Radar guided: EASY (2 X Skill)

Disclaimer: I have seen only ONE guided missile in real world action. A Copperhead 155mm Laser Guided AT Missile. The rest of this info comes from various reference sources. If anyone has anything else to add (or sees a flaw in my info) please feel free to jump in.

Swag;

Last edited by swaghauler; 06-11-2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added content