View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 AM

The biggest thing Mexico has that come close to a modern tank is the French ERC-90. A very good vehicle, standing almost unmatched in several African conflicts (including against T-54) but far from enough to invade US.

Moreover, I never understood why Mexicans would flee to the US (a country that has been massively hit by nukes) while only Permex (near Veracruz I think) was hit in their own country. As a result I turned that thing the other way around.

US citizens, many from Mexican decent (but many others too), would cross the border into Mexico. That is too much, however, for the Mexican governement to deal with and they set up several huge refugees camps. In the meantime, the Joint Chiefs have move what third line troops they have available to the Mexican border in order to stop that population bleeding (in time like these you don't want to lose what is left of your work force).

At last, when violence burst into the camps, the Mexican military (who is well known for its sense of measure toward civilians) meet that unrest with military force. When false rumor of widespread massacre get to the U.S. the Joint Chiefs order several U.S. units to move in to protect U.S. citizens. As a result, the Mexican government move more troops to the area and declares war.

Cuba effectively takes the oportunity to get rid of the Russians and "Division Cuba" crosses to Mexico (that gives quite some more punch to the Mexican army with may be 100 T-72s and as many T-55s or/and T-62s+BMPs and BTRs). When that occurs, the U.S. 4th Fleet is badly understrength and the sending of the Russians is over by the time it can gather enough ships to fight the Mexican navy. In addition, what Russian pilots are there with several planes (including Fulcrums and Floggers) are also sent to Mexico from Cuba. Despite the Cuban not being involved, you can also expect to see volunteers forming air units in a Cuban version of the Flying Tigers. Also expect to see several volunteers from other South American countries to form units ressembling the International Brigades that fought in the Spanish Civil War.

As someone said, Mexico still as oil and retain some refining capacity, despite the destruction of Permex, and that makes its mobile forces and its air force a very good asset (hey! The F-5E Tiger II is a very good U.S. made aircraft and I always had a deep feeling of tenderness toward it. Don't ask why but it remains my favored aircraft to these days). Moreover, I suppose that even a M151 equipped with a 106RCL or a Milan can be more than a matched for a standing tank with no gas to run on). Then, it is not impossible to see M5 stuart take out M113, or so I think. Finally, Mexico has a small weapon industry as it builds the G3 locally as well as a mechanical and aircraft industry that might be of help.

Nevertheless, the offensive doesn't last and things settle pretty much as per cannon essentially from lack of sufficient proper equipments and strategic will. After all the Mexicans were only defending themselves and had no real intention about conquering U.S. Internal unrest might also become a problem but a full fledge Mexican Civil never convinced me. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mexicans getting control over a number of frontier town in exchange for peace, (why not) fresh military supply, and limitations on drug exports. Ok, Americans could have a problem about accepting that but this a time of despair and as long as they don't ask for the all southern Califonia or Alamo... Then, I wouldn't be surprised to see some tough negociations take place in better times.

By the way I don't recall if by v1.0 the Sandinistas are still in power in Nicaragua. If that's the case they might move some troops south across demilitarized Costa Rica to try taking the Panama Canal. I don't think they will succeed, especially with Honduras and a U.S. base there but that might further delay the reinforcement ot the U.S. 4th Fleet.